Chapter Thirty-nine: A schemer in causality's laws

As lively as the streets of Sacriere were, the carriage ride to the place we were to be accommodated was troublesome.

"UGH! I cannot stand that pretentious commoner any longer!" Viveca was venting out as she furiously grabbed on her dress.

Valentin looked over at her and in an attempt to seem like an older brother, he spoke rather monotonously. "Don't let her get in your head."

I almost choked on the rose water (a staple of the kingdom) that I had acquired from the port. Even knowing that Valentin could not care less about this world, why was he acting so detached from his role as an older brother to Viveca?

"Get in my head? HA!" Viveca harrumphed. "As if!"

"Then why are you so vexed?" Valentin inquired.

"I- I" Viveca stammered, her face painted with utter confusion. "I don't know!"

And her look really screamed as if she did not know why she was so frustrated.

"Her whole being appalls me and I do not even know why!" Viveca continued and this time, she anxiously bumped her head against the window of the carriage.

"Don't hurt yourself," I put a hand on her forehead and stopped her from hurting herself. "Maybe you're just frustrated that Cedric's hanging out with her?"

"Jealousy? That's my motivation for this unpleasant behavior?" Viveca leaned her head on my shoulder as she sighed heavily and tried to bite the edges of her fingernails. "That's quite irrational of me, isn't it?"

I held her hand to stop her from biting her fingernail. "Well, you like Cedric, do you not?"

Viveca paused and murmured something.

"Hn? Did you say something?" I asked her.

She slightly shook her head. "It was not important. I'm tired, wake me up when we arrive."

Viveca's eyebrows were much furrowed even as she tried to close her eyes and rest. Her attempt to nap was just basically her trying to shut off the world while she recomposes herself. Quite understandable as she is dealing with emotions that were too irrational in her norm.

I heaved a deep breath as I rested my chin on my hand as I leaned against the window of the carriage.

"The Law of Causality," Valentin shifted in his seat and declared suddenly, causing me to take notice of his smug face.

I dropped my hand and sat straight, but carefully as I could as I do not want to bother Viveca.

"Are you sure this is the right time to talk about this?" I whispered anxiously as my eyes gestured to the light napping Viveca on my shoulder.

Valentin rolled his eyes. "Little glitch, I am magic itself." He snapped his fingers and a small flicker of blue flame danced at the tip of his index finger before extinguishing itself immediately. "Well, at least in this world."

I looked at Viveca and sure enough, she was not even bothered one bit.

"This world is now noticing your anomaly," Valentin snapped his fingers again and a scene showing the sky showed up like a tiny hologram atop his palm.

I squinted my eyes. "So, the sky. Real scary."

He looked at his projection and muttered an Oops, before zooming in on a speck of dark line on the sky. It looked like a tear and something was crawling out of it.

A large spider suddenly emerged from the crack and slowly started falling to the ground. I audibly gasped at it landed unharmed on the forest floor, its giant legs towering over the small trees and bushes around it.