Chapter 19

Y/N's POV:
Having to do a full day of teaching and then be interrogated by a senator was not fun. I was nervous today they were talking to Bucky and Bruce. Bucky is the one I was worried about most. He didn't match well with authority. Bruce would be fine he'd be the smartest guy in the room. Wanda and I sat near the front near Bucky so that he had our support. They called Bucky up first. He looked at me for reassurance.
"You've got this Bucky," I say patting him on the back.

"Ok Mr Barnes you have a very spotty past do you think it's appropriate for you to work with children? Can people trust you with their children?" The Senator asks.
"As the records show I was under severe mind control by Hydra however since then I've done the work and the therapy in Wakanda and with Dr Raynor to address these issues. I've had a spotless record since then. It's not like I'm educating them just helping them to build stamina and work on combat training. They can trust me with their kids and they do as my job is not to look after them but to train them so when they're out there saving your lives they have the ability to do that," he explains.
"So you'd expect me to leave you alone with my child to train them how to fight without worrying that you could be triggered and become the winter soldier again?" He probes.
"I'm never alone with the children. As the report you have on your desk says I am not a threat to anyone anymore. My mind is under complete control and is pretty unbreakable," he explains.
"Ok Mr Banner your turn please. What would you say you bring to this job?" The senator asks. Bruce and Bucky swap seats. I smile at Bucky and he breathes a sigh of relief.
"You mean besides an incredibly big brain physically and metaphorically? Since Thanos I've travelled the country teaching kids about science and why it's so important. I'm good at what I do. You can see that in the test results in front of you. What I bring is passion, a love of working with kids and good results," Bruce affirms.
"Do you believe you're safe enough to work with children?" The man inquires.
"Yes I'm in complete control of the Hulk at all times. I have not had an incident since 2018," he states.
"Thank you Mr Banner we'll take a short break and then come back for final statements with Agent Fury and Y/N Maximoff," the senator declared.

We head outside to get some air.
"You know once this is over I would really like to punch that senator in the face," Bucky says annoyed.
"Me too Bucky but you both did well. We've just got to hope that Fury and I can bring it home. This has just been so stressful and not what we needed at all," I reply frustrated. Wanda takes my hand giving me a kiss on the cheek.
"You'll do brilliantly. Even if the school does have to shut we've given these kids the tools to be able to be in normal schools and have control. You saved these kids Y/N. And if things do go badly there are still homes here for all of us. In terms of work we can start going on the odd missions again and we've got savings," Wanda assures me.
"She's right Y/N. What you've built in half a year has given these children a better education than they would've got in 3 years at a regular school. They needed you and you gave them a safe haven," Bruce adds.
"Thanks guys. Come on we better get this over and done with," I say leading us all back inside.

Pietro and Nat were there.
"What are you doing here?" I ask them.
"We wanted to support you. You created this school for us and we wanted to thank you for that," Nat says hugging me tightly. The room started filling up with parents and students alike to show their support. I felt myself getting a bit emotional. They all came over and started shaking my hand thanking me for what I had done for their kids. When the panel walk in everyone takes their seats.
"Ok Agent Fury what made you want to invest in this school?" The senator asks.
"I believe in what Y/N wanted to do. You look at the issues that the Avengers have had over the years it's due to certain members of the team having a lack of control and the newer members not being prepared for what they came up against. The programme ensures a safe space to learn control and prepare these kids for the outside world whether thats becoming an Avenger or fit in with regular society. This school gives them that option. These kids are better prepared for encountering the world around them than Peter Parker or Wanda Maximoff ever were. The school works because it's ran by people like them that have been through what they have and who have genuine knowledge of their powers. If you try to take this over you'll turn it into a regular school where these kids didn't fit in and a lot of them hated every second. In front of you you have a written letter from every single parent and child that attends this school. I'm sure you've already read them. I challenge you to tell me that this school isn't necessary or that you need to control it. If you come to that conclusion you're not only lying to us but you're lying to yourselves. We need to be prepared for not only this planet but the next and these kids can do that. Let them have a safe space to do that," Fury speaks eloquently.
"Thank you Agent Fury. Y/N Maximoff any final words from you?" He asks.
"This school is more than just these kid's education but teaches them life skills and how to navigate a world which is against them for being different. These kids need this school. Mine certainly do. All I ask is that you decide what to do next on the basis of what is best for not only these kids but the future of our planet," I state before retaking my seat.
"We'll reconvene in a few hours where we will deliver our final decision. Thank you for your cooperation."

As soon as the panel had left we all filed outside where our caterers already had a BBQ going. Pietro and I sped around putting seats out for everyone while Wanda used her powers to put up a gazebo. If this was the end of the school at least we could all be together for one final time. Fury came over and put his hand on my shoulder.
"You did good Y/N. Whatever happens this was a success. Look around you. This is what you did this for. You've created more unity than I ever had amongst my team of Avengers. I'm proud of you," he says before heading off to talk to Carol.
"He's right you did so well. No matter what happens you've helped every single person here. I love you so much Y/N," Wanda agrees sitting next to me placing Luna on my lap.
"I love you too Wanda. Without you I could've never done any of this. You're always so supportive. How lucky am I that I have the most loving beautiful wife in the world?" I say kissing her gently.
"Mom come and play football with us please," Pietro begs grabbing my hand. Wanda takes Luna from my lap as I follow Pietro to the field.

Pietro passes me the ball and for a few minutes I forgot about all my worries just enjoying the game I loved. I flip the ball over the first kids head nutmegging the second who tried to tackle me I speed past the dad that joined in before curling the ball into the top right hand corner of the net. The kids just looked at me in awe as Pietro high-fived me. After about half an hour I'm exhausted having well and truly showed the kids up and I collapse in the chair next to Wanda.
"Ok I'm way to old to play for any longer," I joke with Wanda.
"That was hot. I've always loved watching you play sport and I'm just glad I wasn't playing against you this time," she smiles.
"Y/N it's time," Bruce says calling us all back inside.
"That was quick is that good or bad?" I ask Wanda.
"I don't know but we're going to be ok," She assures me.

I sit at the front with Wanda and Nat on either side of me with Pietro the other side of Wanda.
"We've looked at all the data and evidence taking into account your statements. The decision we have come to unanimously is that this school can continue to run as an independent body. I've spoken to my fellow senators and if you'll accept it we'd like to be a silent donor so you can expand the school so other kids that need it can be helped too and aid the transition between the school and the Avengers initiative," the senator declares. The whole room erupts in cheers while I just sit there in shock. Slowly I stand up shaking the panel's hands along with Fury. I turn around and Wanda jump tackles me in a hug wrapping her legs around my waist.
"You did it babe," Wanda says excitedly before kissing me.
"No Wanda we all did it," I smile as she gets down. Thank God it was the last day of term so we could celebrate properly.