Chapter Twenty-Seven

Caroline:

Graduation is finally tonight! I'm so excited! The home stretch of classwork could not have gone any slower! Not to mention all of the stress with the legal side of things involving what happened with Mr. Williams. I really thought I could never get through it. Once the news got around, it turns out I wasn't the first girl in his senior class that he'd done that to. As the months passed by, each day got a little easier. Especially, with Julian at my side. What a gift from God he is. Every day he reminded me that I wasn't at fault for what Williams had done and that I also ended up helping around five girls in the process. Girls I've never spoken to and would have no other way of knowing that they were going through the same thing as I was. Thankfully, Williams got twelve years. Daddy was so appalled by the other girls' stories that he had our lawyer represent them, too. Some of their parents couldn't even afford a lawyer. What's the point of having money if you can't use it to help and love thy neighbor, right?
Twelve years seems too short of a time, but with this justice system, it's more than any other girl would've gotten without an old money family. I've finally recognized what luck I have, and I'm so grateful that we used it to help others. It makes my heart so warm.

"Caroline? Knock, knock."

"Hm? Oh! Come in, come in! I didn't expect you to get here so early!" I'll never get used to seeing Julian in a full suit. His scent mixed with is cologne wafted in alongside him. The cedar and mint made me feel even more calm than I already was. He's intoxicating.

As he snuck in and shut the door, his smile grew bigger upon seeing me. "I got ready a little earlier than I planned on. Just excited to come see you all done up."

"Well, sorry to dissapoint. I'm sititing here, curling my hair in this nice fluffy robe you bought for me."

He walked over to me with his eyebrow raised, "Only the robe?"

"Yes sir, only the robe... or maybe I'm wearing a Santa suit underneath. Who knows?"

He laughed and brushed my hair off of my shoulders, massaging them, "Santa suit or not, you're still stunning. Although, it does feel a bit, hmm, bare here."

"Ugh, wow. I know you're good with your hands and all, but this really surprises me every time." I leaned my head back so that it rested on his stomach and looked up at him. "How did you even know I needed a massage? I just don't know what I did to ever deserve you".

His hands left my shoulders, trailing up my neck and cupping my jaw. "You exist. That's what you did, angel". He then lifted my hair up and began to plant soft, slow kisses from my shoulder to my jaw. I shut my eyes, and my body responded with goosebumps that I'm sure he felt. "And I know you're stressed. I also know where you hold your tension. I'm observant, especially when it comes to the woman I love."

"How will I get anything done with you here?" I muttered breathlessly, letting out a sigh that was full of pleasure.

"I can always stop, if you're too distracted." I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"You know I never like it when you do, but it takes me forever to curl my hair. There's just so much of it."

"Yeah, I know. You're lucky no one ever comes into my quarters at the church. I'd have to dye my hair honey blonde just to play off how much of it is all over the place." We shared a laugh. "I could help you with this last half, though. Give your poor arms a rest."

"You know how to curl hair?!" Should I really be surprised? He's perfect.

"Of course. I grew up with three sisters. I'm pretty sure I learned how to do their hair before I learned how to fix my own."