Chapter Thirteen

Julian:

WHAT am I supposed to tell her parents??! If I say she kissed me, it's the end of days for her. If they find out she kissed me and I thoroughly enjoyed every second, I'm done. I'd have to move somewhere else. Louisiana? No. Tennessee? Maybe? What about her? They can't know.

What about God? What about my status as the pastor of a town of eight thousand people? I can't just step down without a valid explanation! To say I want to settle down, would point to me being weak to temptation and sin. I'm supposed to be above the common churchgoers. Sure, I've had experiences before my time at the ministry, but that could make it worse. It could only go down from here.

Caroline called her parents last night, and she told them the usual. She omitted something from them, and to her, that's just as sinful as lying. I'm dragging her down with me. Although, she was just as heated as I was, and Caroline of all people is not one to make the first move. So, the feelings had to be strong enough to cause her to do something so uncharacteristic. I'm positive she's never kissed anyone before. She didn't even know her feelings were a crush. That was apparently on me. She didn't even know that. The important thing is, is that this isn't one sided.

For now, we focus on the car ride home. Her and I can talk about it there. I just have to finish packing my things, so I can get this girl home in time for dinner.
Knocking? I don't know if I can face anyone right now.

"Father, may I come in?"
Except her. She's the only one I can stomach.

"Yes, Caroline, of course."

She shut the door. What to expect from her, now?

"I just wanted to...apologize for my behavior last night. I know you said, a couple nights ago, that God would forgive me, but do you? Truly? It's just that... well you know the feelings I'm feelin' already. I couldn't hide those anymore from you. I felt like I had placed them, after all the prayers yesterday, but I wasn't sure. Now, I am, and I'm so so sorry that I've possibly ruined everything for you. I just-"

"Hey, hey, no tears. Please, angel, it's okay. Come here."

Her running into my arms, the way she did, was something I'd pictured a lot differently. Definitely, didn't picture it like this.

"How is it okay? What will happen to you, J-Julian? You're absolutely wonderful with all your work, and I took that away from you!"

Us hugging isn't working. Should I..? Would she want that..? Would it make things worse? I'll just kiss her on the forehead. That should do it.

"We'll figure this out. Together. I'm not, in the slightest, upset with you or with anything that you did, please believe me." She gazed at me through the tears. Her eyes seemed less sad. "Are your things all packed? Mine are just about done. Meet me in the car. We'll talk there." I gave her one last forehead kiss, and let her go.

The door creaked open. "Right away, F-father."