Chapter Six

Caroline:
How have I never seen this part of the Church before? I know every crevice of this place, inside and out. This corridor must go on for half a mile! I never saw any extension like this from the outside. So, we must be... underground? It sure is cold. I wish my cardigan was thicker. Why don't they have actual lights? Candles make it seem a little like a movie.
Oh! Rooms! There are a bunch of rooms! This must be where the Sisters sleep when they're staying late n' takin' in God's wisdom!

"End of the hall, here we are."

"Oh, this... is beautiful. This has to be the largest one. Where are we?"

"This is my room. Where I reside. No one outside the Ministry has seen it, I'm glad you like it."

He was flashing a lip smile, very cheekily, at the ground. Father really was glad.

"Your-your room?? Oh, my 'lanta! Wow! Oh, so all these pictures are of you? And your family? There are so many! This one is so cute! Who are they! OH! Which one is your wife?"

"Caroline? My wife? Members of the Ministry are sworn to celibacy for life? You didn't know that?"

"Oh. No, no I knew that, I swear. Its just that... well, sometimes I forget that... sometimes it gets confusing an' is hard to remember that..."

"That I'm not...married?"

"Y-yes, Father."

He smiled? He's not mad? That was a pretty big mistake I just made.

"Have a seat, doll. I just have to grab a few things from the bathroom. I'll be right back."

There's a bathroom connected to the room!? Holy moly!
Wow, his bed is so soft. It's softer than mine. Surely, he wouldn't mind if I just lie down...for a second. This... this is for sure what he smells like. This has to be the most comfortable bed on the face of this Earth. The softness mixed with the scent of a whole pine forest and pure warmth. If we weren't going on the most exciting trip of my life, I might just never leave.

"Caroline?"

"Oh! Yes, Father? I was just..." Blushing, you're blushing. Why am I blushing?

He let out a small laugh. "I'm finished packing. Let's get you in the car. You seem tired."