Chapter Twelve

Caroline:

A CAKE! A whole cake! I can't believe Father had them bake an entire cake, just for me! For him, it's fitting, but me? Wow, a blessin' in disguise, he is.

I should probably take off my robes and fix my dress before I go to his chamber. Maybe I should wash up, too. Can't have him thinkin' I'm messy.

-

"Knock, knock. Guess who it is?"

"Hmm.. Mother Teresa?"

"Oh! Heavens no! I won't even entertain such a wild comparison!"

We shared a laugh. He appeared out from his closet... in his regular clothes. Mother Teresa wouldn't be bothered by this, now would she? I can't help but notice that this the first time I'm seeing his sleeves rolled up and his arms exposed. They're so toned. His hair is brushed out, and his glasses are on. He's so handsome...

"Ready to call your parents?" He snapped me away from my sinful thoughts. Even when he's not trying, he's perfect... at what he does.

"Yes, but I was hoping I could chat with you. For only a second. Is it alright if I close the door?" He looked at me from over his glasses with a raised eyebrow.

"A closed door, huh? Must be serious. Come, make yourself at home."

"So, about that talk that we had last night. I've done a lot of thinkin'. Every prayer hour today, I've spent prayin' my little ol' heart out for answers. I don't know if this is from God or from my heart, but either way, I may have found some sort of clarity."

"Go on..?"

"Let me do one thing first, before I do."

I got off the chair and kneeled down in front of him. It took all of the courage I had to do that. Surprisingly, I still feel okay. I feel like I have a bit left. Despite the fact that I am redder than sin right now. This is the ultimate way that I'm about to ask for forgiveness from God.

"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee;-"

"Darling?"

"...blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus-"

"Caroline, what is going on?"

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen."

He grabbed me by my shoulders and stood me up. Causing my hair to fall into my face. I don't care right now. I have to keep going.

"What on Earth are you up to, Caroline! You're starting to-"

"Forgive me, Father."

"Wh-"

I placed my hands on his face and swiftly, but gently, pressed my lips against his. They were so soft and so warm. He froze for a few seconds and then relaxed into me. He's not pushing me away? I've never kissed anyone before, but this feels perfect. I didn't expect it to feel this way. I didn't expect him to go along with this. Does he know what I'm doing? Do I know what I'm doing? I can feel his hands resting on my waist, and I can feel myself being tugged against him.

He kissed me again and again, and I returned both of those. There's so much heat happening inside of my body, and I don't think my brain is going to function correctly after this. This feels so right. This doesn't feel sinful. He was right. One man isn't a sin. I feel everything that I felt when Father concluded that these feelings were about a man.
That means that.. it's him.

The man is him. My plan worked.

He broke it off, looking just as clearly dazed as we both felt.

"Caroline... l... you asked for- for forgiveness.. uh.. before?"

We're both out of breath, and I can feel his heart racing faster than my thoughts.

"Yes.. for that. The man I felt those feelings about is, just now decided. It's... it's you. You're him..."

"You're.. forgiven."

What?