Chapter Five

Caroline:

These few days have felt like months! I absolutely can't wait to go on this road trip with Father Julian! My parents have been checking in on me to make sure I haven't been late, so it's been a little overwhelming.
I don't have a cellphone because Daddy says it's a portal to the devil, but Father Julian has one for emergency purposes. That's how he and Momma can check up on me.
I can't wait to have a whole weekend away!

Finally, I get to pack up my stuff and leave!
I already packed my suitcase and dropped it off at the church; so Father and I can get a head start! Just how he likes it! I hope he'll be happy.

"Miss Locke?"

No no NO! I cannot be sidetracked by this sinful man. Always makin' me late an' such!

"Mr. Williams? I really mustn't chat right now. I've got to get goin' to-"

"Church, yes yes. Your parents have made that clear. Just one quick thing."

"Yes, Sir?"

"Come here. I have something for you."

Stop keepin' me from the Lord! My, my this man!
Walking right up and not engaging in conversation is how Daddy told me to negate his stalling. So that's what I'll do.

"I heard about your little...church trip. I have this for you, in case you run into trouble with anyone. With your Mommy or your Daddy, with your pastor, with the law."

He slipped a piece of paper into the strap of my dress...

"My phone number. If you need help... call me."

"Thank you, Sir."

Gone gone gone GONE! I am LEAVING!
He doesn't bother me, but he doesn't respect my wishes, and that's reason enough to have left that conversation without a proper parting! I think?

~

"Father? Father I'm here, wh- oh! Oh, my."

A dress shirt and pants? That's not his usual get up? Am I allowed to see him like this? Is this a sin? Since when was he so handsome?
No! No, leave devil thoughts, leave!

"Caroline? Hello? You can look at me, dear. I'm wearing clothing. You look as if I'm dressed in a towel."

An image of him in a towel is not helping the Devil exit my brain! Oh no, I'm blushing. I can feel it creeping up my neck.
Say something!

"I.. Hi, Father, should we pack up the car? I'm here early so we can get goin'. Unless... unless you need to...finish getting dressed?"

"I'm off duty, darling, I don't need to wear the robes until we get to GCA. These are just regular, everyday clothes."

Regular clothes, regular clothes. "Oh! Okay. Let's get goin'!"

"Woahh, slow down, lovely. Why don't you come inside and have a seat? My bags are almost packed."

"Yes, Father."

"Caroline, come inside. You don't have to sit in the pews. Come this way, follow me.