Chapter Twenty-One

Julian:
Today is not the day to be worrying about where I stand with God. Today is about making sure that Caroline knows how to handle herself with that heathen of a teacher.

I think if we spend enough time on her these next couple of days, she'll have enough in her tool belt for the next thing he pulls.

What time is it? Shouldn't she be here? I haven't heard the doors open upstairs yet. I don't get angry easily, but Steven Williams is an exception. If there is another incident, I don't know what I'll do. Julia called and said Caroline needs to do a confession as soon as she gets here. Where is she?

"Father Julian? Knock knock. It's 3pm exactly! I'm here and ready. I... I, uh, like your outfit!"

Oh, I guess she is on time. "Hello, darling. You didn't have to come all the way down here. I could've met you up in the chapel."

"I wanted to surprise you!" She smiled her sweet smile, and all the disdain I held throughout the day melted away.

"Consider me surprised, and very happy." Caroline looks so happy... and she's glowing. Oh! Wow, she's happy enough to hug me without asking. 'Atta girl.

"How was your day today?" She never asks about my day, usually. How sweet.

"My day was wonderful, love, yours?"

"Mine too! I worked on what we talked about last night. I used it at school, and I think it went over very well! Especially, with Mr. Williams!"

Her bright eyes looked up at me, and they were truly sparkling. Every shade of proud and elated shone through. There was one other thing I couldn't place, though.

"Good job, Caroline! I'm so proud of you! I squeezed her tighter, and she giggled.

"I also wanted to say something. There's something I really need to get off of my chest."

"Go on..?" It doesn't look like anything is bothering her. I wonder what it could be.

She pulled me over to the end of the bed and sat down. Following her, I tried to search her face for any signs of negativity. There's nothing.

"I just... I've been thinking... I wanted to, um. Well, first of all, do this."

Suddenly, I'm being pulled in towards her. She smelled like lavender. A new shampoo? Definitely a new lip gloss. This taste was different. I don't think I've ever tasted a new flavor on her, yet. She really is changing things up. Her kisses are...hungrier. Not that I'm complaining. TONGUE? Who taught her that!? Okay, okay, still not complaining. I mean, she's great. She's pulling me onto the bed? We've never had a full on make-out, but I guess this counts now. I wasn't in my robes yet so, this whole 'feeling her body heat' is... very nice. I'm surprised her hands are in my hair. She must be feeling very adventurous. Oh, the things I wish could happen. There's still so much to unpack there. I wonder if she wants it, too?

"Ugh, that was much needed. I thought about that all day." She rubbed her lips together to evenly spread what was left of her lip gloss.

"Was that what you were all pent up about?"

"Well...yeah. That and I just spent a lot of time thinking about you. I know things are muddy, but I've decided that needs to get out there. I think about you, a lot. I know we're not official or anything, yet. Or maybe we are? I don't really know how these things work, but anyway I talk to Vivian and Elle about a 'mystery man' a lot. At least that's what they said. I wanted you to know."

"Well, you should know that the feelings - or thoughts, I guess, are mutual, too."

"I'm sorry, if that was too forward of me."

"I enjoyed every bit of that, don't you worry."

She walked her fingers up my chest and her eyes flicked up to meet mine. I could get lost for hours in those eyes, maybe even days. Both of us are lucky that I can hold myself up this long. Judging by the glassy look in her eyes, I don't think she'd appreciate me moving.
Wait... did she mention being official?

"I've also been really liking the way this confidence thing feels. Today seemed like a good day to act in the areas that I want to progress in."

Progress? I hope I'm not reading too much into this. Were we an area she wanted to progress in? Does she want to be official or does she want to... to... does she know what that is?
Maybe, I should just ask.

"I'm sensing you're sending some signals that I might not be understanding properly. Tell me what's on your mind, angel."

She gave me a quick kiss and let out a happy sigh. "Something clicked in me last night. I found a part of myself that I had completely lost somewhere. You helped me find that. This will tie in nicely with my confession, though. So, why don't we do this right here?"

"Oh! Right! Your mother called last night about that. Very frantically, might I add." Right as I sat up and turned away from her, she grabbed onto the back of my shirt.

"I think it's best that I look you in the eyes, for this one."

"Alright? If you're comfortable with that." Looking a priest in the eyes while confessing your sins? That takes guts. I'm proud of her. I wonder what could be that serious, though.

She took a deep breath. "Well... forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been two days since my last confession. I accuse myself of the following sins..."

Is she okay? She stopped talking. She's just staring. If this were any other circumstance, I'd love this amount of eye contact from her.
"Caroline? What's on your mind?"

Another deep breath. "Last night, I watched some things I shouldn't have. I only watched them because I wanted to see what it was like to... to have sex with someone. It was a lot to take in. I think I'm ready for that, though. I don't know if I want to wait until marriage, anymore. I also realized that I love someone. I know that because I thought about doing those things with that person, and it didn't scare me away. I got excited."

Oh... oh my. Caroline.. what?? She WHAT? I don't know if I want to hear the rest of this. I don't think I can handle it. Do your job, Julian. Do your job.

"Okay. Anything else?"

"Father Julian, don't you get it? It's you. I... I love you."

W-what? She what?