Chapter Sixteen

Julian:
This dinner has me feeling really tense. I feel guilty for keeping something from my best friends. They're about 20 years older than me, yes, but that didn't stop either of them from treating me like family. They trust me so much with Caroline, and with everything else in their lives. I can't help but feel like I've betrayed them. They're wonderful people. They've raised a wonderful, sensible woman.

"Julian?"

My, my, what a woman. I didn't notice before that she had such an amazing figure. Well, I tried not to notice anyway. She leaves a lot of room for imagination, as she should. Her thighs looked so luminous and soft. What was showing of her chest looked so incredibly ample and beautiful. She has a birthmark right on her mid-inner thigh, too. How could I forget about that one? The fact that she was just her pure, darling self... right there in front of me and very...bare. To imagine blood rushing to her face in the most intimate way...

"Julian..?"

No! NO! I didn't mean to have blood rushing to you! Down! Go DOWN! Okay, think of something else. Something sad, something  gross, something that isn't Caroline's heavenly body!
Ow.. Okay. Deep breaths. Focus on your food. Try to cross your legs. Almost seven inches is a curse! I don't even use it, anymore!!

"Julian!"

"Yes?? Sorry, Elliot, I was... lost in thought. So many people that need praying for." Especially me.

"Yes, of course! Sorry that I interrupted! I was just asking how well behaved Caroline was on the trip. Being as you reported to me two out of the three days, I was just wondering what she was up to?"

Oh no, don't do that, Elliot. I can already feel Caroline tensing up and her gaze going straight through me.

"She spent a lot of her time praying, actually. When the prayer hours before meals were done, she took a couple of extra minutes to herself. When the meals were over, She spent another hour praying. You know how much she loves God."

"How lovely. Wonderful job, Caroline. I trust you spent your entire time there as wise as Father Julian just described and didn't get too close to anyone. Correct?"

Her face started to get red. No, angel, keep your cool. Please, keep calm.

"Yes, Sir. I didn't make idle chit-chat with anyone. I spoke only when asked of me, like you taught me."

Phew!

"Good job. I hope you kept our dear friend, Father Julian, in your company. To make sure you were supervised?"

"Of course, Sir."

"Speaking of our dear friend... I say it's time for his birthday present! Caroline, sweet pea, come with me, won't you?"

"Yes, Momma."

I thank God that Mrs. Locke knows when to interject tense situations. She's always on Caroline's side, or at least she tries to be.

"Between you and I, Julian, I'd like to apologize for my wife's cooking. She usually does such an amazing job, but this chicken tastes... hmm, I can't seem to find the word for it."

"Don't worry, this tastes wonderful as always."

"Coming! Don't get too comfortable!"

She, really, must have a great 'tense-o-meter'. It's almost sinful.

"Here you are, Father. Happy birthday from Momma, Daddy, and I."

They got me something from this store? How thoughtful! Their prices are insane! Maybe it's because the wrapping is so meticulous. They must have had it gift wrapped!
Wow...

"A rosary made of... crystal? Goodness, how much did this cost?"

"Not enough..."
I don't know if Caroline knows I heard that...how sweet she is.

"A perfect gift for a perfect pastor!"

"Thank you, Mrs. Locke. Thank you everyone, really, I'm at a loss for words."

"Don't mention it, Julian. You've done so much for us, so it's the least we could do for you. Especially, for handling our little girl so properly."
Oh, boy, how I wish I could... What is it with Elliot and his poor phrasing today? Has this always happened?

"Oh, Julian, I remembered the word I was thinking of! Naked!"

Apparently, I have poor timing also because my windpipe decided to stop working.

"Oh! He's choking! Elliot, we need a Heimlich!"

"No-no, it's quite alright! I just have- a scratchy throat, that's all!"

The word he should've used was bland... 'it tasted bland'. Naked. Who says that about chicken they think is poorly seasoned?!

"Ahem, well this has been wonderful. Thank you all so much for a wonderful evening. Mrs. Locke, the food was perfect, as usual."

Gathering my things, I could see Caroline's sad eyes out the corner of mine. I know, angel, I know.

"Caroline, see you very soon! We have a lot of work to do this week!"

"Yes, Father! Have a safe drive back! Please, be careful!"

Leaving without a hug from her feels strange.. at least our Sisters also happen to have a full schedule this week, too. That leaves us plenty of time to enjoy each other's company.