Chapter Seven

Julian:

This four and a half hour drive would be absolutely excruciating, if it weren't for her.
She's slept for about an hour now, but it's better than being alone.
She's stirring.

"Father?"

"Yes? I'm right here."

"Mm. What time is it?"

"Five o'clock, darling."

"Ughhhh. This is such a long drive."

"Indeed it is. Hey, I have an idea."
That sentence seems to pique her interest enough to get her to turn over.

"It's been a while since your last confession. Why don't we do one right now? Get this weeks over with, hm?"

"No, silly, we can't. I can still see you!...Unless.. unless you think it's in my best interest."

"Well, I feel like we know each other well enough for you to be okay with looking me in my eyes, right?"

"Hm. You're right. I do have some things I'd like to get off my chest."

Interesting, but I doubt Miss Caroline Locke even looks the way of sin. I've always had to give her fake penance because her sins are always 'I sneezed, and accidentally interrupted Daddy's billiard game' and she won't take no for an answer. This can't possibly be bad.

"Well, forgive me, father, for I have sinned. It's been one week and... 11 hours since my last confession. I've been feeling...very ashamed and scared lately."

Ashamed? Scared??

"You see, I've always kept my eyes in the light of God, but recently they've been flickerin' away ever so slightly. I've been... noticin' things I shouldn't be. I've been feelin' these feelings that make me feel all warm and like I can't think. I think the Devil is trying to reach me, and I'm scared. I'm scared because it makes me feel unholy. I'm ashamed because I let him make me feel that way. What can I do, Father?"

What on Earth?

"First, I'd need to know exactly what it is you've done."

"I don't know, Father. I don't know what I've done to allow the Devil to enter my life. I don't know what these feelings are. Sometimes, they make me feel like I'm so tingly that I can't breathe, and I get hot. My heart aches, too, and it's not for Him. I think that's my sin."

Sounds like this little lady has a crush. On what man? Undoubtedly, he's unworthy. She hasn't done anything,  so it technically isn't a sin.

"Alright, I'd like you to pray half of the rosary."

"Only half, Father? This seems almost too sinful for that."

"Half, Caroline."

"Yes, Father."

She took it? Good girl. She seems really unsettled. The fists she's made at the hems of her dress and the color of her face suggest at least that much. Perhaps, it's a big deal for her? She's eighteen, surely this can't be the first time she's felt this way? Right?
She is Caroline, though, so maybe it is.

"May I go back to sleep now, Father?"

"Yes, darling."

I wonder... was there anything else she failed to mention? She usually goes into great detail about every small thing. I'm surprised she didn't give me his name and his auntie's phone number.