Epilogue - Part One

Julian:

Leaving the church was the hardest decision I've had to make in a while. I'm so glad I did, though. The weight of it all was lifted off my shoulders, and I no longer feel guilty for everything I did that was against the word of God. Sure, occasionally I'll question myself, but I don't have to be a beacon of His word every day anymore. I know my relationship with God is still good, and He knows it too. I'm finally able to be the human he created. I'm able to be myself again without putting up a front and worrying about my image.

The community was sad to see me go, and I think the Sisters were, too. Not that they were ever around, but I can pretend they miss me. I moved away from it all to three hours north. Being the new guy in a small town is no easy feat, but they don't pester me too much. The PTA moms are just as feral as they were back home, however. If they weren't trying to jump me, they were trying to impress the town pastor. It's ironic, really. What's nice about it all is that no one knows me or my background. Caroline and I are free. It's a 15 minute drive to her campus, and we blend right in.

"Oh shit!" The cake! I knew I was waiting for something! Okay, okay, this is still salvageable. If anything it won't be as moist, but it should be fine, right?

I let out a rather exasperated sigh, as I inspected the slightly over-browned cake. I never mess up a cake. My cake related woes were cut short by a harsh vibrating on the counter. Caroline's calling me. Maybe she'll be late, and I'll have time to fix this.

~

"Yes, my love?" I hope the clanging of drawers isn't going to drown out my voice. Where is that damn frosting spatula?

"Wow, I really missed your voice! You will not believe the day I've had!"

"Please don't tell me I have to knock out another perverted teacher."

"I wish you would! Well.. maybe not. She just irks me so much! I tried my hardest on this paper, and I showed this one classmate what I wrote about. Do you know what he did, Julian? He turned it in! My paper! Before I did! So now, we both have to meet with Dr. Anderson, and I basically have to be on trial with her and prove it's mine!"

"Oh, angel, that sounds so stressful. I'm sorry this has happened to you. I know we both have had enough with court dates to last a lifetime. You're one of her top students. I'm sure she's just doing this out of obligation."

There is so much frosting everywhere, I should really hurry.

"She better be! Ugh! Anyway, I'm five minutes away. Open some wine." She's only this demanding when she's wound up. Rightfully so.

"Wine? You're not even twenty-one yet, angel."

"Twenty is close enough."

"Yeesh, maybe you do need some wine. Retract the claws. I'm only teasing."

"I just can't wait to see you. I'm on Main now. See you in a few!"

"Can't wait, darling. Love you."

"Love youu! Bye!"

~

Aaaand done! One semi-burnt vanilla cake with strawberry frosting! Not bad. Not ideal for a two year anniversary cake, but not bad.

There's the door. Right on time, as always.

"Hello. Bailey residence. And you are?"

"In need of a strong hug, from an incredibly attractive man. Know anyone?" A lavender and vanilla perfume wafted past me as she came in and took her jacket off. Man, that scent never gets old.

"Watch yourself, darling."

"Or what? You'll have me on my knees?" She glanced up at me with eyes that were half curious, half daring. Okay, angel. I'll bite.

"Well, that was later on our agenda, but I'm sure I can move it up a bit." There it is. Her signature red face, but now she accompanied it with a lip bite.

"Maybe we should...eat first." A nervous, but excited, giggle came out as she walked into the dining room, where I had our dinner displayed, and poured herself a glass of Cabernet.

"Did you mean eat the food I've prepared, or should I spread you out on the table?"

She took a gulp of wine and widened her eyes "And ruin this beautiful dinner prepared by my favorite darlin', who I am oh so grateful for? I think not. Come onnn, let's eat! Eat now, burn it off later!"

"Hmm.."

"I'll make it worth your while." Her eyes were just as suggestive as the tone in her voice.

"Fine, but only because the dinner is beautiful, and so are you."

~

"Oh God, I am STUFFED!" She leaned back, placing her hands on her stomach in an effort to soothe it. Thank God she's wearing a dress... and no tights.

"You're about to be even more stuffed in a minute." I mumbled, hoping for a reaction more savory than our dinner.

"I'm still shocked that you had all these thoughts in your head during your time in the ministry. Boy, am I glad that you left. You are, altogether, so filthy, and I love it."

"It was all pent up, but then you came along and tested my willpower... and my pant seams. Do tell, though. What do you like that's so 'filthy'?"

"Well, for one, I like that you rail me to death in front of the giant crucifix that you keep in your room."

"Caroline! And I'm the filthy one?!"

"What? Jesus gets to see what true love and pleasure is like. Maybe He likes it, too. You can't blame Him. Look at you. Look at ME. Also, you're the one that created this monster. Save your breath." Her eyebrow raised, and she bit the inside of her lip ever so slightly. Oh, I see. She's being a brat.

"Watch yourself, my love."

"Or what? You'll tell on me to God? You're not in charge here."

And right on cue, I felt an undeniable pressure in my jeans. Only because I know what this means for the both of us. I gently stroked her cheek and placed some hair behind her ear. I then let my hand travel up to the crown of her head, and gave the hair between my fingers a firm grasp. "I'm not?"

She let her mouth curl into a grin and gave a low, mildly surprised laugh. "If you can prove it, I'll think about rescinding my statement." I was worried that the grasp was too firm, but the smile on her face suggests otherwise.