Chapter Twenty-Five

Caroline:

"Well, it's certainly nice to see y'all here tonight. I'm not quite sure what the town pastor is doing here, but I suppose I shouldn't expect anything less from this lady of God."

"Actually, I requested that he be here, Mr. Williams. Given your last stunt at our house, I couldn't think of anyone better to aid me than my best friend. He just also happens to be the town pastor."

"Right.. anyway. Miss Locke, did you bring the essay that I requested?"

I've got a real bad feeling about this.

"Yes, Sir, I did."

"Great, I'd like to talk to your father about it. If you and... the pastor could wait outside for me, I'd appreciate it." He sounded like he had a scheme brewing. I can see it at the corners of his mouth.

"But..? We never do that, usually? Why do I need to go outside?"

"Caroline, listen to your teacher, please." Daddy didn't sound angry. I think he's confused, too.

Once I shut the door behind us, Julian let out an agitated breath.
"What a weird, wicked man. That didn't sound good at all. And why did he smile at you like that? Disgusting. Why are you giggling?"

"No reason... well, it's just that you get so flustered and protective of me, and I really enjoy that. You're...cute." His jaw unclenched. I think it worked.

"I know that look in your eyes. Trust me, I want the same thing, but right now I want to know what that dreadful man is doing." He's so flustered. Why is this so attractive?

"Julian, I don't think there's anything to worry about. You and Daddy are here. What could go wrong? You know?"

"I don't know, Angel. Something isn't right. I mean, who does he think he is? He's at a parent teacher conference with all black casual attire, and he smells like cigarettes? Also, his hair is shaggy. It's so black it looks box-dyed. He looks one hundred percent like a motorcycle heathen who promised everyone a little piece of trouble in the worst way possible. Wait, where are you going?"

"There's a piece of trash on the floor over there.  I'm gonna go get it." The janitor was making his rounds and was coming down this hallway, anyway. However, maybe if I bend over a little less proper than I usually do, it'll take his mind off of it. I certainly think there's better things he can be worrying about.

"Caroline.." his voice was hushed with a hint of warning, but it sounded much more surprised. "I thought we knew how to behave like a lady in public?"

"We do. I must've forgotten. I'm sorry Father Julian." Something flickered in his eyes. There it is.  A few moments of tense silence passed as the janitor and her cart rolled by, threatening to lose a wheel.

That's when I saw it. That sight that drives me nuts. His pants were growing, and my, my it's a sight for sore eyes. He broke eye contact and promptly crossed his legs.
I walked over and sat down a little more than too close to him. I know he loves this perfume, and I certainly can smell his cologne. I'm not helping either of us right now.
He stood up.

"Julian? What's the matter?"  I got up again just to be near him.

"I think you know exactly what's wrong, sweetheart. We can talk about this...later." The not-so-holy look in his eyes, accompanied with the strong eye contact we were holding, caused me to blush. He makes me so hot and bothered. He started ever so slightly adjusting the rather large blessing he was given, and my eyes drifted.
"No, angel. Eyes up here." My heart is absolutely racing, that tone he takes could melt me faster than a hot knife through butter. My face is heating up, fast.