Chapter Fifteen

Caroline:

We arrived just as dinner was being prepared. Daddy made me shower, and I'm worried my hair isn't gonna dry in time. I can't help but care about my appearance in front of Father, now.
Maybe if I quickly blow dry it?
Who's knocking??

"Darling, it's Father Julian. May I come in?"

What? Noooo! My hair is still wet! I can't deny him entry, though.

"Yes, Father!"

He opened and lightly shut the door, with him inside.

"Your parents wanted me to come and tell you that- WOW. Okay. You should not have let me in. I'll be w-waiting outside."

He's mumbling something? A prayer? Does my hair look that bad?

"What? Oh! I know... my hair is wet, I look bald, don't I?"

His eyes are shut tighter than ever, so something must look bad...He scurried out door and shut it again, really frantically, this time.

"No, of course not!"
Why is he whispering?
"I'll come in when you're... decent."

"Decent? What do you-"

OH MY 'LANTA! I'M STILL IN A TOWEL! My Lord in Heaven, I may as well be as naked as SIN!!! I can't believe he saw me like this!

"I'm supposed to tell you that dinner is going to be ready in fifteen minutes!"
He sounds like he's trying to save his hide from my parents... but they wouldn't know what just happened, right?
Maybe I should play along?

"Thank you, Father! You're ever so kind! I'm almost ready! I'll be right there."

That man may as well have seen me buck naked! How sinful of me! He must think I did that on purpose! Oh, no. I'll have to make sure he knows I'm not like that. Surely, he knows I'm forgetful sometimes, right? Although, bein' forgetful is just as big of a sin...

Once again, he's whispering through the door.
"Are you decent?"

Just... one... more... leg! Pantyhose will be the death of me. Where is my cardigan?? I had it on the bed?

"Caroline?"

No cardigan. Surely, Daddy won't mind, right? He's seeming to be more okay with me not wearing one. Plus, this dress is a halter-topped one. Nothin' showing. I should be fine.

"Yes, Father. You can come in."

My good God in Heaven. It's so warm in here. I hope my hair looks okay. It's half dried, at best.

"Y-your hair looks perfect, there's no need to fuss with it. You look beautiful."
The door lightly shut, once more. Is.. is he... blushing?

"Father, I just wanna say that... as embarrassing as it may be that..." Breathe. Breathe. "I did not do that on purpose. There is no way, on God's green Earth, I would let a man enter my room while I'm indecent. I promise you that, in no way, did I intend to-"

"Believe me I- I know. You don't have to apologize. I feel like you might be telling God more than telling me."

"We should probably get goin'. I'm nervous they'll think something of you bein' up here this whole time."

"They won't. Remember the charity dinner last week? They didn't bat an eye."

Ugh. Of course I remember that.

"How could I... forget?"

Oh, that darn charity dinner. I forgot how sad I feel during dinner time with my parents. It's always 'Caroline, you did this wrong!' and 'Caroline, do this! No buts!'. I forgot how free I feel with Father... with Julian. I forgot how much of a generally happy time that trip was.

"Darling, where'd you go?"

"I'm right here, Fa- Julian. It's just that... I just realized that..."

"That you hate how hard your daddy is on you?"

"Yeah.."
How can that man read me like a book?? I love it, but it's surprising, sometimes.

"Would you like a hug?"

"Yes, please."

His arms wrapped around me, and I buried my head between his chest. He smells so, so good. The combination of those two things melted my worries away faster than ice on the hottest of summer days. He rubbed my back, and I let out a deep sigh.

"We have to work on getting you to breathe more, doll, you're always so wound up."

"Thank you for being here."

"Always, angel, for as long as you'll allow me. Let's go."

He gave me one last squeeze, and off to my doom I went.