Chapter Two

Julian:
3:00
Caroline always comes in at 3:00 pm.
My most enthusiastic member of The Church of Christ is never late. Yet, it's 3:10.

Where could she be?

A small creak came from the front doors. There she is.

"Caroline, you're late."

"I'm so sorry, Father. I had to give a speech, an' I got interrupted. Then, Mr. Williams kept me late again."

Her usually well kept hair fell all over her, now red, face.

"Don't fret, darling. I don't need excuses. Just promise it won't happen again. You know I enjoy your company. That's all."

I smiled my warmest smile in an effort to calm her down. She was usually so well poised. Yet her hair was tangled and her dress looked slightly less pressed than usual. She was clearly frantic.

"Yes, Father. I'm sorry."

"Put your things down and come to the kitchen. Help me make the dinner for tonight. Our Sisters won't arrive for another hour and a half."

"Yes, and you like everything done early. I'll have my hands washed and everything ready in less than 5 minutes, I promise!"

"Thank you, Caroline."

She rushed to the doors that lead downstairs to the kitchen. There was a small rip in her stockings. She really must've ran over here. Of course, only Caroline could look absolutely angelic having exerted herself that much.

That Mr. Williams seems to be keeping her late every single day. It's not her fault, but I really count on her. Maybe that's something I should chat about; with both of them. Maybe her parents, too.

"Father?"

Has it been 5 minutes already?

"Yes, Caroline? What time is it?"

"It's 3:17. Its only been two minutes. I just.. had a question."

Her pale face quickly turned rose all over. This should be interesting. I gave her a look signaling her to continue.

"I.. are you mad? At me?"

"No, dear. I just don't like you being stolen from me- us. Your aid is tremendously detrimental to how we run things now, since you've been with us for so long. Your presence is vital. That's all."

"Oh. Okay. I'm sorry, again, Father."

"Please, stop worrying. It's alright. Hold that door for me. I'm coming down."

She opened the door all the way and stood against it to keep it open. She has to use all of her body weight, how delicate.

"Thank you, darling. Say, are your parents coming to the dinner tonight?"

"Yes, Father, of course. Any particular reason you ask?"

"Well, I have a few things I'd like to talk to them about."

"Oh?"
Rosy cheeks, once more. She cares so much about what I say and what I do. How lovely she is.

"Caroline, do you remember that conversation we had; about you joining the covenant?"

"Oh! Yes, Father I remember! I'm so so so excited!"
Red faced and sparkly eyed is a very good look for her.

"Perfect."