Chapter Eighteen

Julian:
I didn't think I'd be back here so soon.
It's been twenty minutes. Elliot has been reprimanding her for twenty whole minutes, and it feels like it's been all day. I've been able to give my two cents and, in turn, keep E in check. Poor Caroline.

"Is it alright if I go pour myself a glass of water?"

"Yes, of course, Julian. Our home is yours, too."

Making my way to the kitchen felt more relieving than I thought it would. I was starting to get very irritated very fast. She's an absolute angel. How could anyone find that many faults in her? There are none.
The house phone rang and snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Julian! Could you grab that?!"

"Yes, Mrs. Locke, I got it!" I might as well move in, while I'm at it. "Hello? Locke residence."

"It's Steven. I'm sssseven minutes away."

"Okay, wh-" Oh, he hung up. He seems...hospitable. "Mrs. Locke, someone named Steven says they're seven minutes away."

"Wonderful! Caroline, Mr. Williams proposed an urgent at home parent-teacher meeting. He's seven minutes away."

"What?!" Caroline seemed visibly shaken. A very valid feeling, considering everything she's told me.

Okay, but Mr. Williams?! The very last person I'd ever hope to see. Of course. That explains the lack of hospitality. This should be... interesting to say the least. I never even grabbed my water. I'll need that for later.

"I forgot my water, I'll be right back."

I was already irritated with how her parents were treating her. This is going to be absolutely unbearable.

"Hi... I just- I need water, also. E-excuse me."

I stayed facing towards the kitchen window to avoid any suspicion or any temptation to physically console her.
If I start this conversation, I should probably keep it to a whisper.

"Hey... are you okay?"

"No. It's rough out there, and Mr. Williams is coming here?! In my home, m-my safe space?"

"I know... I'm not too keen on this idea, either. Not only that, but this isn't as big of a deal as everyone else is making it out to be. I'm sorry. You're not alone in this, though. I'm here."

"I can't talk about this anymore, right now. I'll lose my composure. Let's talk later?"

With that, the door bell rang. The look on Caroline's face was that of pure fear mixed with a death wish. Poor thing. We both made our way to the loveseat, only this time I stood behind it and behind where she sat.
Elliot opened the door, and Steven nearly tumbled in. His hand landed on Elliot's shoulder. I should probably go over there.

"Mr. Williams, are you drunk?"

"No, just had a few d-drinks nothing serious."

A few drinks. Hilarious. "Really? You smell very flammable. Almost like you'd catch on fire the minute I lit a match. I'm Julian, by the way."

"Ahh so you're the famous pastor, huh? That little birdie over there raves on and on about you and your church. I'm Steven Williams."

I, discreetly, wiped my hand on my robes. I'll probably have to burn these now. Liquor and cigarettes is not something I'd prefer to smell like.

"Mr. Williams, perhaps we can do this another time. A time when you're not inebriated in my home?"

"No, I'm fine, really. I can walk a straight line for you, if you'd like." He laughed.

I doubt he could, if he tried. "Or I could go grab a match? What do you say?"

"I say, let's talk."

Elliot and I looked at each other. This should be good.

He made his way into the living room. I picked up my pace just a bit so I could reach the seat next to Caroline before he did. I saw him eyeing it already. I barely made it before him.

"Of course, you sit by her. You're the favorite, after all." The moron pat my back with a hard hand, and gave me a wink. What a disgusting excuse for a man.
Julia and Elliot both shared a glance. Lovely.
I heard Elliot harshly whisper something at Caroline.

"Uh.. Mr. Williams, Sir. Would you like anything? A glass of water, perhaps?"

"Yes, sweetheart, thank you." He smirked and slyly eyed her as she walked. How are her parents missing this? He's being so blatantly primal!

"Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Locke for having me. I really just came here to discuss the- the boldness of your daughter's disrespect. I also feel like tutoring might help for what she may have missed this week."

Scum. He is absolute scum. "You know what? That's a great idea, Steven. Caroline can bring her books to church and I'll help her. What do you think, guys?"

"Yes! Steven, that's wonderful! Thank you, Julian! I'm sure Caroline could really benefit from your help!"

Caroline, ever so gently, walked in with the glass. He stretched back and undid his tie. Why? Why must you undo your tie to drink water? Too much lemon scented drain-o as a kid, I bet.

She tripped over his shoe. The water is landing on.... her. Of course. Was that his plan? Her dress is white, oh goodness. Her bra is.. light pink. Oh, dear. No no no no.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!"

"Not... a problem." That stupid smirk on his face! Her mother rushed to get a towel for the floor. I've gotta get her upstairs.

"Caroline, why don't we go this way. Up the stairs you go. Hurry and get changed, please."

We reached the bottom of the stairs. She looked down at her chest then up at me, redder than ever before.

"I'm not looking, unlike some people. It looks like your parents are starting to show him out. Hurry back, okay?" I kept my tone hushed and made sure that I locked eyes with her the entire time.

"Well, Mr. Williams, this was certainly amusing. Thank you for your suggestion. It will definitely happen. We apologize once again for our daughter's behavior. It will happen no longer."
The only thing doing apologizing should be Steven to whatever trees are providing him oxygen. The door shut, and he was gone. I can breathe.

"Say, Elliot, It's only 5:30. Why don't I take Caroline back? We have unfinished work, and I could start on that tutoring."

"Brilliant idea. I like you more as a mentor, anyway. Caroline! Make sure to grab your backpack! Father Julian will be helping you with your studies tonight!"

"Yes, Sir!"

"I'll go wait in the car. Thank you for having me."
After I hugged them, I made my way out to the car.
Maybe it's time for a prayer while I wait.