Chapter Fourteen

Caroline:

The car ride back was stressful, to say the least.
We decided that my parents can't find out, that he should sit on the idea of leaving the Ministry, and that we both have really unresolved and complicated feelings for each other. So, where does that leave us? I think it's a sort of heavenly limbo. I convinced him to stop at the church before driving back to my house. It's the only place that I can take a full breath.
Being here just reminded me...

"Oh! Father, I didn't mention this before, because I didn't want to be a bother, but I accidentally left something in your chamber, before we left. Could we go grab it real fast?"

"Of course, darling."

The walk down there was as silent as all get out. The Sisters were gone visiting a nursing home thirty minutes away, so it was empty. I'm glad he'll be joining us for dinner. Must get lonely bein' all... alone.

"Um...J-Julian, could you put the necklace on me? Please? I feel like you should be the one to do it."

He chuckled. "Alright, come here."

Handing him the gorgeous necklace, I turned around and dropped my cardigan, so it didn't get caught. Daddy would have my hide, if he saw me ruin any clothing. Father lifted my hair, and I switched out my hand for his. I felt his hand brush against mine. Good thing I'm facing a wall. That just triggered the heat in my body to rise.
Attempting to find out the location of his hands, he traced my collarbones with his free fingers. I couldn't help but let my head fall back slightly. It felt so nice, that I have goosebumps. I think he could tell because he paused. This is the first time we've had major skin to skin contact, besides my hands on his face the other night. I love this. His hands were now resting on the base of my neck, fiddling with the clasp.

"There! All done. Turn around and let me see you."

I did a slow turn in hopes that the red would have left my face by now. I don't think it's gone.
He's not talking?

"What? Is it on right? Did you clasp it backwards?"

"No...you just...Caroline, you look absolutely stunning with that on. Truly."

"Of course I do, silly. You picked it out." We shared a small laugh. "May I ask you something?"

"Anything, angel."

"When we're alone...s-should I be... oh, how do I say this? Reserved with you?"

"If I'm on the same page as you are, no. You don't have to be, unless you want to. Is that what you would like?"

"No. Also, you don't have to reserve anything from me either. Since your secret is out."

He laughed. "Not just my secret, sweetheart. You must have forgotten who did what to whom the other night, right?" He poked my, now red, nose

Oh, my was that... was that a wink? God, help me! I'm so flustered right now! Someone, make it stop!

"Oh, angel, did I make you too flustered? I'm sorry. Here, look me in the eyes."
He tilted my chin up. His eyes are stunning. A pure hazel. Not a weird hazel on the outside, green on the inside like mine.

"Breathe, what do you see?"

"I see.. your eyes?"

"Yes, Miss Locke, you certainly do. What do you see in them?"

"I see hazel. An earthy hazel, like... like honey in tea."

"Is the tea... sweetened or unsweetened?"

"Oh! Sweetened, of course! I'm not a monster!"
We laughed, and I patted his chest with my hand. Except, I think I'll leave it here, He feels so strong and warm, and his heart feels like it's trying to reach my hand. He leaned down, to get closer to me. Inches apart from my face.
"...it's really sweet."

"I'm glad you like them."

"Of... course I do. They're sweeter than... me."

"Oh? Is that so?"
With that, he sealed the distance between us by putting his top lip between both of mine. I'm gonna follow whatever he does with his because this feels absolutely perfect. So, this is how you do it. I feel like I'm being slowly and gently caressed by the sweetest summer wind. I wish I could have this forever. I'm fixin' to savor every bit of this. Of him.
His hands went behind my cardigan and on top of my dress. They reached my waist, yet again, and he brought me closer. I curved my body to fit his.
I don't want this to end. I breathed in through my nose, and was suddenly surrounded by the scent of a pine forest, and I felt every bit of warmth that he carried. He was lightly moving his hands to the small of my back and connected them together behind me.
I feel so... warm, so safe, so happy. I can't believe it.
He gently placed his fingers at my temples and ran them slightly through my hair.

"I'm sorry to cut this so.. so short, but if we aren't gone soon, we'll be late."

"Of c-course." It's refreshing to have to catch my breath this way.

"Now, what did you forget?"

Oh. That.

"I forgot to... to have you put the necklace on me. I wasn't... um, sure if we were going to be alone or not, so I directed us...down here."

I was certain he'd be mad, but he was smirking. That doesn't look very mad.

"Hmm. Alright, angel, let's go see your parents."