Chapter 2: Fighting through life.

TW: ABUSE

Tom and Dorthea arrived to the Garrison in each other's arms giggling at a joke Thomas had made on the walk over. "I don't know why you two are laughing, ey. Your mother just died!" Arthur Sr. Spoke when he noticed them.

"Sorry sir." They both said in unison.

All of the Shelbys sat together in silence for a good part of the night. Arthur Sr. and the two eldest boys drank their sorrows away while John and Dorthea sat in the silence. It was close to 11 when Harry, the bar man, told the family that he was closing soon and that they needed to find their way home. So with a little help, the 5 Shelbys made it to their home on Watery Lane. No one made a noise on the walk home. And when they entered the house, everyone went to their respected rooms. No one slept that night, but none of the siblings wanted to bother the other in fear that they would be seen as weak. Dorthea snuck out of her room and into the nursery where Finn laid.

She sat and watched him sleep soundly. "Oh Finney. You would have loved Mom. She was so sweet and told the best stories. She always sang to us as well. Such a beautiful voice. I can't sing as well as her but I do know a few lullabies. Maybe I'll sing one to you when you're awake." She whispered to the babe while he slept, making sure not to wake anyone else in the house, even though no one slept.

The door cracked open revealing Arthur Sr. "What are you doing in here?" He angrily asked her.

She jumped at his voice, not knowing he had entered the room. "I was just making sure Finn was okay."

"How did you know his name?"

"Dad, you told me. Don't you remember?" She questioned him confusingly.

"I did none of the sort. Now go to bed before I give you a good beating for being out."

Dorthea became confused. Beating? Dad has never hurt any of us. But before she could question him, a hard slap hit her cheek.

"Did I stutter you stupid girl? I said go to your room." Dorthea grabbed her cheek and ran across to her room. She laid on her bed wondering what monster had become her father because that was not the same man who she remembered. Tears fell from her face as she cried herself to sleep. That night she lost both parents, and didn't tell a soul.

A month had passed since the Shelby mother passed and Dorthea's life hadn't gotten any better. When Dorthea stayed home to take care of baby Finn while the boys worked 'business' Arthur Sr. came home drunk, looking for a fight, but never a fair one. The first time it happened found Dorthea reading in her room.

"Why aren't you taking care of Finn?" He shouted at her.

"He is down for his nap in his room." She replied to him, not looking up from her book.

He walked towards her and snatched the book from her and stuck a finger in her face. "You look me in the eyes when you speak to me girl." He inched closer to her and she could smell the whiskey on his breath. He was drunk.

"Dad, I think you should lay down." She tried coaxing him down. But he didn't take it lightly and slapped her across her face with such force she flew across the room and landed on the floor.

"You don't tell me what to do." He yelled at her. He began to kick her in the stomach.

"Dad, please. Stop" She begged him, but it just fueled him more.

"Don't speak to me like that little girl. You know why you deserve this?"

"No sir. Please stop." He grabbed her by her hair, pulling her so that their noses touched.