Chapter 7: In the 'in between'.

Everything that was before the war was no more when the boys came home. Yes, leadership wise everything was the same, Tom and Polly being the heads of the family, Dot falling close second to her Aunt. Yes, Dot had taken charge of the business when the men went to war, but only for the sake of her last name. Polly still helping with majority of things, raising kids, being in charge of the money, keeping Dot in line. Dot was mostly in charge of those things too, but she had become the muscle in absence of her brothers. She would round up those who paid for protection and gather their payments. And when someone was causing trouble, Dot was the one to answer to. She had become more like Thomas everyday he was gone, good and bad.

Good because she was gaining trust in Birmingham and getting the respect that came with being a blinder, even if she was a woman. Bad because just like Thomas when he came back from the war, she had become less of the giddy, and loving teenager who loved to race horses through the streets and causing havoc while running from her brothers. She fought her own war in the streets of her home. She fought the war of respect in an anti feminist society and came out on top. If anything, she had become more respected than her brothers.

When they had returned from war, Tommy had told Dot that she should step down from running the business. It did not end pretty.

A knock came from the other side of her office door. "Dot." Thomas spoke while walking through their office door.

"Thomas you know this is your office too, you don't have to knock." She told him, not looking up from her papers.

"Dot, you work too hard." He told her, watching her work from his chair behind his desk.

"Well, someone had to step up while you boys went to away. 'Sergeant Major'" She smirked looking at her brother while saluting him.

"Well now that we're back, you can step down. We can take it back."

"What?" She stopped working on her numbers and looked back at him.

"Dorthea, you can stop being a blinder now. Live a little. We are home. John, Arthur, and I will be handling business again." He didn't make eye contact with her, instead busying himself with lighting a cigarette.

Dorthea's jaw dropped, not believing what she was hearing. She began digging in her ears, turning her head to the sides and shaking.

"What are you doing?" Tom asked her.

"Well I don't remember taking a dip in the cut. But maybe there is water in my ears. Cant hear correctly because I just heard you say you wanted me to stop working." She glared at him.

"Dot, please understand. I want what's best for you." Thomas spoke.

She scoffed at his comment. "What's best?! WHAT'S BEST?? Tom you should have thought of that before you left me in charge. Before you left everything on Aunt Polly and I's shoulders. Before you went to fight a war, telling me you'd be back in no time. Thomas Micheal, that was four years ago. In the four years you were gone, I had to grow up. I have built this business into the success that you see when you walk out of that door. I have built the name Shelby into one that is feared and respected. I did everything you asked hoping you would be proud of how much I grew up and took responsibility. How much i took care of this family, and you just want me to throw it away like nothing?"

He was shocked at her response. "Dot, you can take a break. I'm letting you out of the business, start a new life."

"Thomas I am happy with the life I have."

"A life of murder? Illegal Gambling? You want to cut people for the rest of your life?"

"NO TOM. It's not about that. I want to keep this business going for the family. I only kept this thing alive for so long so that we could have a better life. I want John's kids to grow up with full bellies. I want Finn to have nice clothes and shoes on his feet. I want to give Polly a house some day. Tom, I worked hard so that our family didn't have to search for scraps like we did."