Chapter 13: He knows.

"Thomas Michael, I will not go to the fair with you. I promised my, as you call her, 'posh city friend' that I would visit her. Don't worry either, I asked James and Lucas if they would accompany me." She sat in her room arguing with Tom, a small day bag packed beside her.

"Fine, as long as they go with you. I guess you'll have to wait for your present until you get back from London then." A small smirk playing on his lips.

"Tommy, what did you do?" She questioned him.

"You'll find out when you get back since you don't want to come with us to Finn's first fair."

Dot knew what he was trying to do, he always did this when Dot wanted to do something on her own. The guilt trip of the boy named Finn. Dot could never say no when something was mentioned about Finn. I mean come on, she had basically raised Finn since their father walked out on them. But she wasn't complaining. Good riddance to him.

"No Tom, you will not pull Finn into this argument. Now, I'm already late." She pushed past him and flew down the stairs, finding her three other brothers sitting in the living room.

"Alright, everyone is ready, let's go." Arthur went to grab his sister's hand, but she pulled back.

"I'm not going to the fair. I'm going to London." She crossed her arms at him.

"Come on Thea! You skipped our fair trip last year." John groaned at her.

"J, last year I got food poisoning from your then girlfriend who obviously couldn't cook for shit." Arthur and Tom chuckled at the girl. "I was laid up in bed for a week with a bucket at my side." She swatted at her twin.

"Alright boys, you forget that our sister is a grown woman now. She doesn't want to be seen with her brothers at Fairs for children." Tom spoke jokingly.

"Thomas, your moping is not a good look." Dot stuck her tongue out at him.

The five Shelbys moved towards the front door, seeing two cars awaiting them, James and Lucas stood by the second. When hearing the brothers exit the house, the boys straightened their coats and stood a little taller, cigarettes still hanging from their mouths.

Dot was dressed in her normal attire just as the boys were, fresh suits, polished shoes for the boys, her old boots for Dorthea, and their peaky hats shining with razor blades, except for Finn who would probably cut himself before he cut anyone else.

Dot walked over to her two body guards for the day.

"OI!" John yelled towards his two friends. "You look out for her. Or I'll"

"Cut you each a smile." They spoke in unison followed by a "Yeah, yeah" and a "We got it John."

John nodded to the two and gave Dot a kiss on her cheek. "You use that cap if anyone gives you any trouble yeah."

"J, I know how to take care of myself. I'll be fine."

It wasn't that he didn't think she couldn't take care of herself, of course she could. She had more scraps and cuttings on her records than they knew of. But it was that of what had happened only a few days prior that had all of her older brothers looking over her shoulder for her. In the past days since the incident, she always had one of the three with her at all times. John accompanied her to the shops when she need to get groceries, saying that he wanted to know how to shop for the kids. Arthur went with her to the garrison every evening, no need for explanation on that one. Tom went almost everywhere else with her, still feeling as though it was his fault for her meeting of the inspector. She still had much bruising on her chest and stomach, her face healing nicely from the cuts and broken nose.