Chapter 32

"Beth, these books aren't adding up again. Something is off." Dot called from her desk opposite of Beth's.

Dorthea and Beth had been working numbers for a few weeks together now. Everything had been going smoothly and Dorthea was getting a growing respect through the bakery. Mostly because if Beth wasn't with her it was Ollie filling closely behind her or Alfie talking over business in his office.

She had gained his trust within the weeks she had been fixing books. Alfie had even asked her for tiny insight on small items knowing she knew how to run a business. But nothing major, and nothing on changes anyone would know anything about. He was a prideful man and unfortunately Dot understood that.

Getting their office situated was easy as well. After getting some of the 'bakers' to move desks around, per Alfie's demands, Beth's office had been turned into Beth and Dorthea's office. Two desk sat opposite of each other, the sides facing the doors while the fronts faced each other. The rum cart was duplicated to have one next to Dorthea's desk. The bookshelves were moved to the back of the office where many books to both Beth and Dorthea's taste were mixed in with books of past numbers and money intakes.

"Are you sure your counting is right?" Beth questioned, rounding her desk to look at Dorthea's papers.

"I'm sure. I've gone over it at least 5 or 6 times. There is 200 pounds missing from the rum receipts at the Rose club." She spoke, eyeing Beth who looked through the numbers adding them in her head.

"Well, we will need to tell my father about this. He can figure it out from there."

"I can. You go, I know you're going to dinner this evening." She smirked.

Lucas had come up a few times since Dorthea's sudden disappearance. He had obviously asked Beth if she knew anything, but Beth was quite the actor, saying she had no idea her friend had left. Even throwing in a few curse words at her "missing" friend that she hadn't contacted her.

"Are you sure? I don't mind canceling."

"I know you do mind canceling. Go back to the house. I'll stay here and sneak back later so he doesn't see me. I'll go talk to Alfie." She smiled, kissing her friends cheek before grabbing the book and her coat.

Dorthea had started wearing some of the dresses Beth bought all those weeks ago. They were simple, but "enough to please someone handsome" as Beth put it. She hadn't taken too much a liking to the dresses but they would do. Especially since her suits had mysteriously gone missing.

Walking through the bakery, she kept her head high, heading straight to the big man's office. Ollie spotted the girl moving through the building, ending his conversation to follow her.

"Good evening, Miss Shelby." He smirked, knowing he wasn't suppose to call her that in the open, another Alfie request.

"Oliver, do I need to sick your boss on you?" She spoke, not even looking towards him as she kept walking.

"Oooo, I'm so scared." He rolled his eyes as he followed her to Alfie's office. Not even knocking, she entered his office and sat in front of the desk.

Alfie sighed, throwing his hands on his desk. "Yes, Miss Somes?"

"Someone has been taking your money, Alfred." She spoke, laying the book on his desk.

"No one takes my money, Dorthea. There must be a mistake." He argued, picking up the book.

"See for yourself then." She picked at her nails waiting for his response.

He grabbed his small glasses, eyes scanning over the numbers in the book. His small facial expressions wouldn't be noticed by the ordinary man, but Dorthea had grown to know what small movements meant, especially with people she was just coming to know. For example, Alfie flared his nostrils and scrunched his nose slightly when he was about to yell at someone. And that's what his face looked like right this moment.