Chapter 9: F'ing Coppers.

Small Heath, Birmingham 1919

Tom waltz into Dot's room. "Dorthea, get on your clothes. We're going riding." As soon as he entered the room, he left. Leaving his sister in a confused state.

Dot got out of bed and threw on her suit and coat. It was January and all though Spring would come soon, it was still very cold in Birmingham. Grabbing her hat, she flew down the stairs and out the front door where her brother was waiting.

"Why are we going riding today Thomas?" She asked as they journeyed to the stables in Charlie's yard.

"It's a secret. I'll tell you when we aren't in the open."

Dot looked around her. People hurried themselves out of the pairs way, bidding their hello's and good mornings. Neither of the siblings speaking back to anyone.

Once they had made it to the yard, Dot headed straight to her newest love. For her birthday the past year, Tom, Arthur, and Polly had bought Dot and John matching Horses who were twins themselves, one a dark brown, and the other a midnight black with white specs on his back. One would be for racing and one for leisure. Of course John picked the racing horse, having be able to have the horse under the Shelby name. Dot picked the riding horse. Every free moment she had was spent with the horse, who she had ironically named Lumos, which stood for light.

Tom put reins on Monaghan Boy, the racing horse while Dot jumped onto Lumos. She had taught the horse to ride with no saddle nor reins. Dot learned to turn her by the mane. They rode down the streets together.

"Thomas will you explain to me why we are headed into the courts?" Dot asked.

"There is a chinese witch, she can do the powder trick, make the horse win." He spoke to her without even looking in her direction.

"Bloody hell Thomas we're fixing races now?" She watched ahead of her ask people scattered from in front of them. They were soon left as the only two people on the street. A man and young girl ran up to the two gangsters.

"Sir, Ma'am. This is her." The chinese man spoke.

"The girl who tells fortunes?" Thomas asked. Sighing he nodded to Dot, taking money out of her suit pocket and handing it to the man. The girl looked over the horse and pulled out a red bag. She emptied the powder from the bag onto her hand and began chanting a spell. Dorthea looked around them to see people peaking out from behind crates and walls around the street. She scoffed at them. She turned back to see the young girl blowing the powder on Monaghan Boy, securing their win. Dot and Thomas turned from the Chinese as they ran off.

"The horse's name is Monaghan Boy." Thomas shouted to the hiding people. "Kempton, three o'clock, Monday. "

"You ladies have a bet yourselves, but don't tell anyone else." Dot spoke to the crowd as they rode off back to the yard. The two rode silently down watery lane and past the Garrison. Dot emptying her change into a blind man's cup while tipping her hat to Mr. Jesus.

"Good morning Mr. Shelby, Miss Shelby." Two cops spoke to them tipping their hats.

They arrived back at the stables in quick time. "Tom, Arthur will hear about this. Not from me, but he will." Dot spoke to her brother as pulled the horses into their stables.

"I can take Arthur. It's you I need on my side to calm Polly when she finds out." He looked at her.

"Tom, I'm not mad. We need the money if we'll rise to the top. Just let me know ahead of time next time you decide to drag me off against the knowledge of everyone else."

"Deal." The ghost of a smirk played on Tom's lips. He wouldn't let the public see his emotions, but the wall crumbled when he was around his sister. Everyone else got the stone cold Tommy Shelby.