Chapter 44: An Absence of Common Sense.

"Is there anything else? Have we given everything to someone?" Dot questioned as she looked over her papers. She picked up every scrap that laid around her making sure she had taken all of her notes.

"Well, most things given to you, but yes." Alfie joked as he watched her scramble through her papers.

"Right, okay." She scratched her head as she found her list. "Wow, yeah." All things related to the Shelby-Solomons deal were written with her name beside them, all but 6.

"Dot, are you ready?" Ollie poked his head through the door, trying to get his wife to finally leave.

"Yes, let me grab the rest of my paperwork." She stood, gathers the pile of paper into her arms.

"Nope." Ollie grabbed the papers from her hands and walked into her office, throwing them onto the desk. "We are going home to our daughter to have a quiet night."

He blocked her from getting to the papers on her desk. "Oliver, I have things to finish the final deal." She sighed.

"And you can do them tomorrow." He spoke, not budging from his stance. "Don't make me."

They eyed each other. As Dot went to move around him he snatched her waist, throwing her over his shoulder. "Like old times, ey?" He laughed.

"Ollie, put me down!" She yelled, making all the men turn to look at them. She hit his shoulders as they walked, although he seemed not to be fazed.

Looking up, she saw Billy watching them, eyeing him angrily. She scoffed at him. He had heard her and looked at her, shaking his head and turning back to his work. She then rested her elbow in Ollie's back, making sure she pushed hard for it to hurt him as he carried her the rest of the way out of the bakery.

Dot didn't realized how much she could miss a small child. She had always questioned John as to why he had so many. How he could (almost) handle it when they would run around for hours not listening to anyone except banding together against the world. She now knew that they had acted just like the elder of the Shelbys when they were younger, but that wasn't the point.

When she had walked through the door of the Solomons' home, and the little girl had run into her arms, crying that she had missed her mommy, she knew that it was indeed true to love a child, as long as it was one of your own.

Emerald had asked to do everything that Dot had missed on in the week she was gone. She wanted her mommy to take her to see more horses, and to see her Uncle Finn who she had so much fun with in the "Rison". She wanted to go back to all her uncles who were funny when they drank too much. Dot laughed at that one.

All the excitement of her mom coming home tired the poor two year old. And the excitement of the husband and wife in the next room tired them out as well. *wink wink*

"Dorthea." Beth called from the next room. She poked her head into the office, looking for the woman piled behind a stack of papers full of numbers. "Phone's ringing for you, it's Ada."

"Thank you, Beth." She smiled back, heading into the kitchen to take the phone call.

"Hello, Ada."

"Dot, did you know he had a key?" She questioned. Dot sighed, knowing she was talking about their brother.

"Yes, Ada. I have a key as well."

"My god, you'll need to bring it by the house because I don't need you barging in to my home." She scoffed.

"Ada, it's an extra for the family." Dot laughed.

"Well bring it to me, it's my home."

"Ada, it's for emergencies." She argued. Her eyes could have rolled through the phone in this instant.