Chapter 51: How Real Was It?

"Arthur, stop snorting that crap. It'll kill you!" Dorthea slapped at Arthur's hand as he snorted a line.

"Just like those cigarettes of yours, D?" He smirked, sliding back his hair.

Dorthea walked ahead, throwing her arm around Ollie's as they lead Bille and Arthur behind them towards dinner. Ollie didn't even look to her.

He had been strange all day. He hadn't greeted her at the home that evening. She had arrived in Camden in the late afternoon leaving no time to run by the bakery before the dinner. So Dorthea went straight to the mansion where Emerald and Beth were. Emerald was waiting for her mother in the living area with all the stories of what she had done with her Aunt Beth during the week.

She was upset to find out that none of her stories mentioned spending time with her father.

Dorthea spent her evening getting ready for the dinner in the bedroom with Emerald sitting on the counter telling her mother how beautiful she was. The two spent the end of the night together before Dot laid Emerald in her room to sleep for the night.

The only time Dorthea saw Oliver was when he came to pick her up and take her to the bakery. They shared pleasantries, but that was it.

Dorthea knew something was wrong.

Alfie had mentioned earlier in the week that Arthur was invited to the dinner, having been the brother that was in London the most. And obviously Billie was there for being head baker, at least that's what Dorthea assumed.

The doors to the main room opened before them as they stepped in. Alfie greeted Dorthea first.

"Hello, Dorthea."

Dot smiled as she hugged her father figure. "Hi, Alfie. Miss'd your burly self." She spoke in a whisper.

"Gentleman, welcome. Welcome!" He greeted Bill and Arthur as they came into view from behind Ollie and Dot.

"Mr. Solomon." Arthur greeted as he shook Alfie's hand.

"You must be Arthur!" Alfie spoke.

"Yes." He answered.

"Arthur, Arthur." Alfie grabbed his hands as he shook them both. Dorthea could tell Arthur was becoming nervous around the gangster.

"Pleasure to meet you." Arthur said.

"I've heard so much about you."

"Shalom." Arthur answered him. Dorthea covered a loud laugh with a cough as he brother looked from her to Alfie. "Let me just say."

Alfie looked behind him to Dorthea as she tried not smiling.

The five moved towards the table as they sat to begin the meal. Alfie stood beside Dorthea, Oliver on the other side of her, Arthur across from Dot and Bill across from Ollie.

"Passover started off way out in the Far East," Alfie began his lecture. "out in the sand, out in the desert, where my forefathers come from. You know, the Jews, the brews, whatever you want to call them."

Dorthea sipped her wine as men moved in and out of the room, Ollie watching each of them.

Alfie continued. "It started out as a little speck—"

Suddenly, the doors to the hallway shut. Dorthea didn't pay any mind to them, thinking it was Alfie's need for privacy. Billy however seemed to be put on edge. He leaned over to speak in Arthur's ear, Dorthea not being able to hear what was said.

Alfie noticed.

"Billy... Billy, don't worry mate. If you want, you can leave. If you need to go to the little boy's room, you can leave. We're going to open them—"