Chapter 37: Not my favorite Homecoming.

A week later, Dot hadn't heard from or seen any peaked caps. The first day had everyone on edge, she had thought about just moving again afraid of what them seeing her and her new life would do.

She knew it was all in her mind. But her mind had worked her over so much that she had come to believe that if her brothers found her they would hate her and the person she had become.

Nevertheless, she had left the house the next day, knowing she had work to do. A week had past and everything blew over from the Emerald.

She had been walking with Ollie one afternoon when a Tup came through stopping the two. "Ollie, we have a visitor. Need you at the door." Nodding to the man, Ollie kissed Dot's forehead telling her to go find Alfie.

Ollie sighed, fixing his jacket know who the visitor was without having to be told. Alfie had told Ollie earlier that week about the fight at Sabini's club after finding out that the blinder royalty had come to his club after. He had told him that he sent a message to the Shelbys. Preparing him for the inevitable visit, and not telling Dorthea.

Dorthea went to find Alfie, finding him in his office not far from the entrance. "Alfie," she spoke through the open door. "Someone is here. Tup said a visitor?"

"Yep, follow me." He spoke, raising from his chair, heading out. Dorthea, confused, moved to follow Alfie. She opened the book she had been grabbing before seeing Ollie and began to look over it. Walking through a hall, a table sat on the side and whatever the men had been working on set off.

"Fucking hell, lads. Calm down." Dot wished she had shielded her eyes but the small blast blinded her for a second, not being able to see the visitor.

"Put him down, Ollie. Put him down, mate. He's only little." Alfie stopped, turning back to Dorthea.

"Now, Dorthea, don't be mad." He turned back around leaving her confused once again.

"Why would I be mad?" She questioned, earning the eyes of the visitor after he heard her speak.

"Dot?" Looking up, she saw him. His blue eyes staring into her soul from the few yards between them.

"You on your own?" Alfie asked, trying to take his attention.

"Seems so." He said, not looking from Dot.

"Well, you're a brave lad, ain't you? You want to take a look at my bakery?" Turning he gestured for the men to follow him. Dorthea waited for the three to pass her and stepped foot with Ollie who walked in the back.

"Did you know?" She questioned.

"Yes." Dorthea scoffed as she stopped. "But, Alfie told me not to tell you because you'd be against it." He grabbed her shoulders to face him. "Wasn't my idea. Promise." She nodded her head as they followed the two again. She took off her ring, sliding it onto her necklace quickly.

"We bake all sorts of bread here. Did you know we bale over 9,000 loaves a week."

"10,000 Alf. I do you numbers, remember?" Dot spoke from behind. Tom and Alfie both looked back at her.

"We bake the white bread, we bake the brown bread. We bake all sorts. Would you like to try some?" Alfie offered as he poured two glasses. "Bread?"

"All right." Tommy spoke.

"Brown or white?"

"Try the brown."

"Brown, right."

As Alfie handed Tom the brown, he gave Dot the white as she smirked at her brother.

"Not bad."

"Not bad, eh? Not bad?" The two stared down each other, Aflie almost seemed offended. "It's fucking awful, that stuff. Fucking brown stuff is awful, it's horrible. It's for the workers. The white," he pointed to Dorthea who bowed her hand which had an empty glass. "White stuff, not that is for the bosses." He turned, leading the three deeper into the bakery. "Come look."