Chapter 5: Letters.

December 1914
Dear Dot,

We arrived in France about a week ago. It's definitely not Small Heath, but it'll do. The men over here say we won't be gone longer than 6 months, but that's still a long time to be away from family.
John keeps asking about his kids, so will you please write to us if Martha had the fourth yet. I am about to strangle him.
Arthur and Freddie keep flirting with all of the nurses and Lucas and James have already caused trouble here at the camp.
We get our war assignment in three days. Hopefully i can get something like "sleeping soldier" where i just sleep all day. wouldn't that be the dream.

Hope everything is going well back home. Don't burn down the shop.

Love, Thomas

January 1915
Dear Thomas,

Things have been running quite smooth without you boys. Most of the men left for the war so it's the women that are having to take on all the jobs. No one comes around the shop anymore so we mostly get our earning from the bars and shops paying us for protection. It keeps us afloat but it's nothing ground breaking.
Martha is doing great, she hasn't had the baby yet, but it could be any day now. Tell John Polly said it's another girl. So that makes his count 2 boys 2 girls.
Let Arthur and Freddie know that none of the whores around here miss them so they can flirt with whoever they please. Just don't let them get any of them pregnant. Heaven forbid I have anymore nieces or nephews before I turn 21.
As for James and Lucas, please give each of them a slap on the head. They know better than to make trouble and i'm not their to whip them in shape.
I hope you get a good position too. Don't want you boys going straight into the line of fire.

Don't worry about us and focus on winning this war sooner.

Love, Dot.

April 1915
Dear Dot,

Sorry it's been a while since I wrote back. Things haven't gotten any better. If anything things have gotten worse. I am a tunnler. This means that i have to dig through the ground right next to the german territory. Sometimes I can hear Germans digging right next to us. I've never been so terrified in my life Dot. Please keep sending good letters. Sometimes i think they're the only thing that keeps me sane in the tunnels.

Thomas.

May 1915
Dear Thomas,

I can't imagine what that must be like, staying underground for long periods of time, not seeing the sun. It sounds awful.
I do have good news. Martha had her baby in February. She is beautiful Tom, thank heavens she looks just like Martha. Finn started school also, he and Isaiah Jesus have gotten into more scraps than they have classrooms, but I guess that just shows that he is indeed a Shelby and Jesus. He has lost a couple of baby teeth also. He's growing up so quickly Tom, he reminds me of when we were younger. Always wanting an adventure.
Martha's been hearing from John but we have yet to hear from Arthur. Please have him write in the next letter.

Love, Dot.

December 1915

Dear Thomas,

Merry christmas to all of you boys. I haven't heard from you in a while but i guess what's not all bad. Please write back to us when you get the chance.

Polly.

March 1916

Dear Dotty,

Happy birthday Love.

Arthur

September 1916

Dear Dot,

Sorry i missed your birthday. All the days blur together when i'm down in the trenches. We miss you dearly.

Tom.

————————————————————

Sorry this chapter is super short and lazy. I started this idea, but it kind of ran it's course and i got writers block for it. :/