Chapter 24: My night with you

Couple of days had past since the Shelby family was given their own legal license. Business was booming. Men were betting more and more with the Shelbys after word had spread around Small Heath that they had gone legal. It was a good feeling for the four eldest, watching men run in and out of the den with their betting slips and cash in hand. This also meant no more days off for them though. Because of all of the business, Dot was kept busy with the numbers for the company. She was always fixing books for the men who were in charge of the betting because lord knows none of them had finished school past their 6th year. She had also been keeping a watch over Arthur's books for the Garrison.

One afternoon she decided to take a trip to visit her dear brother at the Garrison as he looked over the cash books, receipts, and inventory. He was suppose to be getting a 'new' shipment today and Dot wanted to make sure he was adjusting nicely with the help of Harry and Grace.

Walking in through the back door she spotted Grace leaned over the desk, writing in the books as her and Arthur spoke.

"Don't boats get searched?" She questioned, standing from the desk.

"We moor them at junctions, so there's more than one way out." He answered back to her, tapping the side of his head as if he had all of the knowledge

Dot rolled her eyes at the two to see how far they would get into this conversation. Her feeling of Grace being more than a plain barmaid had crept back into her thoughts the past few days as she had heard she'd been sneaking around and listening when people were in the snug.

"No locks within a mile so we can move that stuff fast."

"Your brother doesn't obey the law, but he has rules." Grace turned from Arthur as she exited the back room, almost knocking herself over running into to Dot who stood in the doorway.

"That he does, Grace. Now run along and stop asking questions about our business." Dot glared at the barmaid as she exited the back room, heading back to the bar for opening.

"Arthur William, spilling our secrets to a barmaid? I though you knew better." Dot clicked her younger while she shook her head.

"Ahh, she won't say nothing. Ain't got no one to tell." Arthur spoke as he hunched back over to the books. Dot leaned in to check the book as well as she looked over the numbers as well.

Snatching the pencil out of his hand, she scratched a couple of numbers out, rewriting them. She turned to walk out of the room, heading to grab a bottle of whiskey off of the shelves. "Is my adding up right?" He yelled at her as she walked away.

"They are now!"

Sitting in the joined office, Dot nursed a minor headache from the bottle of whiskey she had stolen and downed the night before. Loud noises were being made from the den as men ran in and out. Groaning from all of the noise and light that had shown through the windows, Dot moved to Tommy's desk, rummaging through his desk for something she knew would cure her head, more alcohol. Finding the cigarettes first, she pulled one out, lighting it as she continued to search.

Without Dot noticing, Tom leaned against the doorway of the office and watched his sister look for her cure through his desk. Looking up finally, she spotted Tom and jumped up from the seat.

"Jesus Christ, Thomas! You'll give me a heart attack sneaking around like that!" She scolded him.

"It's in the top one by the extra gun."