Chapter 48: We're the Kings.

"Morning, Esme." Dot spoke with a smile, walking into the kitchen. She had missed her Sister-in-law, taking a liking to her for her smart mouth and take-no-shit attitude.

"Dotty!" Esme engulfed her into a hug, squeezing her tightly. "John had said he'd be bringing me a surprise, thought it'd be some new underwear he could rip off."

"Uhg, did not need to here that about my brother." She sighed, covering her ears.

"What comes around goes around, Thea." John smirked as he walked past the two, kissing Esme passionately.

"I think I'll be sick." She fake gagged as John moved into the living area, flicking her off as he left.

"So, you have to tell me about your London life since I couldn't join your festivities." She smiled, leading Dorthea into the den to get things ready for the day.

"Not much to tell, just like Birmingham I suppose, only Jews instead of Gypsies."

"Aye, I suppose so. And Emerald, how's she?"

"She's good, gone with Polly and Michael for the day."

"She's here?" Esme's eyes lit up.

"Yes, she'll be home after shop closes tonight, bringing her by to play with the cousin's tonight." Dot laughed.

"I have to say, she's my favorite niece." Esme smiled, moving books through the shop while Dot brought out the money boxes.

"As far as I know, Esme, she should be the only one you have." Dorthea spoke, lifting her eyebrow.

"My sisters have daughters, Emerald is my favorite." She laughed, knowing what Dorthea was speaking of.

A sudden bang at the door interrupted their conversation.

"We're not open for winnings yet!" Esme yelled.

"I'm here to see Thomas Shelby!" A woman yelled through the door.

The two women looked with confusion at each other, before Esme moved to the door.

"I have an appointment." The woman walked in, wearing London fashion.

Esme nodded to the woman, earning stares from people on the street. "Come in."

Dot looked past her out the door to see her posh car parked in the road. Dot let out an airy laugh.

"That fucking Riley will get stolen if you leave it out there like that." She spoke, earning the woman's attention. To the woman, Dot looked like any ol' lady in dirty Birmingham, White blouse with a long navy skirt. Dot had decided to go against wearing any of her fancy clothing while she strutted with her brothers through the muck of Small Heath, though her clothes she did not call "nice" did not come at a small price.

She began to look around the shop, only to be stopped by Esme who ran in front of her. The woman had a staring competition with the gypsy. Looking to Dot, she shrugged her shoulders only lighting a cigarette for herself.

She looked back to Esme, holding out her hand. "May Carlton."

"Mr. Shelby has his proper meetings in his other office." Esme spoke, not moving to shake the woman's hand.

"This was the address he gave me."

"He gave you this address?" Dot questioned, pointing a finger around the room.

"He said it was a gambling den. I told him I'd wanted to see one since I'm always reading about them in the papers. Quite the big scandal in the Telegraph lately." She looked from Esme to Dot. "Anyway, he said that I could come have a look." No one spoke as the watched the woman squirm in her boots. "And now I feel a bit of an idiot because I'm early and he's late and I have no idea how to behave."