Chapter 23: Going Legal

Sitting in the snug by herself from a much needed day off, Dot sat reading a book and sipping whiskey. She had been uninterrupted for most of the morning, key word most. Finn and Isaiah had barreled in mid morning trying to skip out on school, not knowing that his oldest sister would be hiding in there too. He definitely earned a mouthful from her yelling at him to return to school or she would get Thomas after him and he'd never let him in the business. They ran out of there faster than they had run in. After that it was a slow morning.

Almost being done with her book, Dot heard the door open and close but didn't bother to look up. He poured himself a glass and sat in his designated chair in front of the booth.

"Shouldn't you be in the den?" Tom questioned.

"Decided to take a day off, I've had enough fun yesterday and I needed a break from all the mad people in there, especially our brothers." She sighed, putting the book down and taking the glass he topped off for her.

"What's wrong with them?"

Dot rolled her eyes at Tom's dumb question. "We'll they only cut my leash off today because they had actual work to be done and I told them if they kept following me 'round like lost dogs I'd chop their dicks off. John said he fancied his so they left me be on me own today." She snickered at the memory of her brother's faces this morning.

"They're just worried Dot. You freaked them out the other day and they don't know why. They don't want it to happen again." Tommy explained the reasons to his sister while taking a drag from his cigarette.

"I know, but it's exhausting. Can't do anything by myself."

"What do you need to do by yourself?" He questioned.

"Girl things." She smirked. She still hadn't told any of her family about Her and James' sneaking around yet.

"Don't finish that sentence." He spoke with a disgusted look, pointing at her while she smirked wider and threw her hands up innocently.

Pulling out an envelope from his jacket, Tom handed the open letter to Dot. She gave him a questioning look while pulling the note out. "An address?" She questioned.

"Aye, sent to the office with my name on it."

"Do you know who's it is?" Dot questioned, handing the letter back to him.

Without a knock, Polly waltzed into the room, shutting and locking both the door and the private window to the bar. She sat down across from Dot next to Tom at the end of the booth, leaning against the table eyeing her niece and nephew.

Putting the letter on the table next to Polly, Tommy questioned to her. "Did you have something to do with this?"

"I asked an acquaintance for an address. She said she would only give it to me anonymously, she's afraid of the consequences." Polly explained.

"Whose address is it?" Tommy questioned.

"Tommy I'd like to propose a strategy." She picked up the letter and slid it back towards Tom. "You meet with the inspector, give him this address in return for Ada and Freddie's protection."

Dot scoffed at her Aunt. "That's mad, bell never go for it."

"He might. It's our best shot at the moment."

With her plan, Tommy nodded and grabbed his coat, leaving the two women in the snug. "Who gave you the address Pol?" Dot asked.

"Ada. She writes me from time to time. It was her idea. She wants out of the poor excuse of a home Freddie keeps her in." Poll sighed, finishing Tom's drink he left.