Chapter 18: Meeting the king

Dot awoke to the sun in her eyes coming through the window that sat in front of her. As she laid in the bed, she felt an arm snake around her waist. She stiffened for a second, trying to remember where she was. Then the memories of the night before came back to her.

No... it wasn't like that though. James Jesus was a gentleman. It also probably wasn't like that because Isaiah slept in the room next door and Jeremiah sat a floor below. But Dot believe that James was a gentleman and didn't want Dot for sex. He wanted to be in a relationship with her, and she liked the idea of it.

She hesitated to move, not wanting to wake the sleeping man behind her. But she made the decision to just turn slightly so that she could face him. She studied his relaxed face, taking in all his features. His sharp cheek bones, long eyelashes. The way his nose curve crookedly, probably for the many fights he had gotten into. She watched him dream as he slept. His eyes moved behind his eye lids as if he were looking for someone in his dream. She moved down his face, noticing his plump lips.

Whoa, Dorthea! Slow your roll!

She pulled her hand to his face and laid her palm on his cheek, moving her thumb back and forth across the side of his face. James stirred slightly, lips moving into a smirk.

"I could get use to this." He spoke with his eyes close, making Dot laugh quietly.

"Well, don't make that too fast. This may not be an often occurrence if your father tell my brothers." She sighed.

"I'll talk to him. He'll understand." James spoke, pulling Dot closer to him. "Let's just forget about the world and lay here a little longer."

"James, I'll have to get home before my brothers go ape shit crazy tearing down the whole of Europe looking for me. I wouldn't want to start another war for you to fight in, ey." She smiled at him.

Dot sat on the side of the bed as James watched her closely, looking for any sign of remorse from the night before. Of corse they didn't do anything, but they did share a bed.

"What's wrong?" Dot asked as she stood from the bed.

"Are you okay?" James asked.

"Well, that question is very vague. Am I okay about my horse, no. Am I okay with us, in this moment, yes. I really like you James. Don't doubt us yet." She kissed his cheek as she exited the room.

"Morning, Jeremiah." She spoke as she climbed down the stairs into the main living space.

"Morning, Dorthea. I'm guessing I'm not suppose to speak of the happening of last night to your brothers, ey?"

"Not if you want your son to keep his life." She joked to him, kind of.... Not really actually.

"Alright, love. We'll see you later at the den?" He asked.

"Aye, Thomas has me on lockdown again after my outburst the other day." She left the Jesus household, taking shortcuts so not to be seen back to number 7 Watery Lane.

Dot made her entrance very quietly, earning no lip from her brothers that morning. She had snuck into her room and changed out of the skirt and blouse Jeremiah had borrowed her and into one of her suits. She would have Polly or Ada wash the set and return it to the Jesus' later in the week.

Waltzing down the stairs she found Polly frantically walking through the den into the kitchen.

"Shit." She repeated.

"Aunt Polly, what's happen?" Dot asked.

"Ada has run off with Freddie. We were meant to take the train to a clinic this afternoon. Freddie met us at the station. Now they've gone into hiding. We have no idea where they'll be." Polly spoke with great concern in her voice.