Chp. 20- A Rescue Mission

3rd Person POV

When Hazel and Jason arrive on the Alaskan Glacier it's not hard to find where the battle is taking place.

Thanatos and Percy slash and dodge like a dance. It's hard to keep track of what is happening. Or who is winning.

Thanatos strikes and Percy blocks with his sword. Both push each other off flying back. Arion rides straight up to Percy as he gets off. Percy stares at them wide eyed.

"What are you doing here!?" He shouts.

"Annabeth is our friend too," Hazel answers. Looking over to Annabeth who is bound and gagged (and now in a cage).

Percy turns from her to look at Jason. "The prophecy says you or Thalia is destined to die. Why-"

"You are supposed die too," Jason deadpans cutting him off. Percy doesn't answer and looks back to a smirking Thanatos standing about thirty feet in front of the cage.

"Hazel free her. Jason and I will lure him away."

"Is there a key or something?" She asks.

"Dunno. But you can control metals. Control the metal in that lock."

Hazel doesn't get the chance to protest that she can't, as Percy charges forward again. Jason is quick to follow.

She tells Arion and he charges over to Annabeth. She dismounts and she holds the lock in one unsure of how to do this. She gives Annabeth a reassuring smile as thinks.

"Maybe Arion's hoof can break it," she murmurs.

"Mmmmmh! Mmmmmmmh!" Hazel looks up to Annabeth who tries to say something through her gag. She follows the older girl's gaze to see her the dust her horse and left behind.

For the first in who knows how long Hazel had the urge to curse.

"Plan B," She says placing her other hand over the lock concentrating on the metal inside.

~~~~

"This isn't working!" Jason grumbles frustrated.

"No Styx Sherlock," Percy grunts. The boys stand back to back looking for the Reaper of Souls who had vanished from his spot.

"Can't he raise the dead or something?"

"He didn't pick a good battleground. But don't give him ideas."

A moment passes before Thanatos appears swiping his scythe across. The boys manage to duck in the knick of time.

Percy slashes and stabs but, Thanatos jumps up hovering above him with a smile. Percy curses. Jason is about to fly up to when a thought comes to his mind.

"Hey Perce," he says. "did you know birds and other animals don't like it when their wings get wet?"

Percy smiles. "Bring him toward the edge of the glacier." Jason nods and flies up fighting with the god.

~~~~

"Got it!" Hazel shouts as the lock falls to the ground. She opens the door and hurries inside to untie Annabeth.

"Oh gods thank you," she says pulling Hazel into a hug. The two climb out and begin to make their way across the ice to the boys.

~~~~

Percy stands on the edge of the glacier as he fights Thanatos. A similar situation to the last time he was on the glacier. Perfect.

He stabs his sword into the ground breaking the ice on which he stands. He doesn't fall far as he catches himself on a platform of water. Thanatos flies around him slashing.

Jason watches from the glacier's edge.

Suddenly he hears Percy's voice in his head: "When you see the ball of water. Strike it with lighting. Don't hesitate. I'm fine."

Jason watches confused. But prepares himself to bring down a lighting bolt.

Percy suddenly gives a shout and a ball of water surrounds himself and Thanatos. Jason then takes his turn and strikes the ball with lighting.

Electricity hits water with a bright spark and the water falls back into place. Nobody in sight.

"Are you crazy!?" A voice shouts. Jason turns around to see Annabeth and Hazel. Annabeth shakes. Jason can't tell if it's from the cold or fury.

"Are you trying to kill him!?" She shouts.

"He told me to. He's fine," Jason says more reassuring himself than the lethal daughter of Athena.

They stare down from the glacier waiting... For anything...

"Oh thank gods you're okay," Percy's voice says behind them. They turn as he rushes up and looks over Annabeth. He winces at the cut on her head which bleeds.

Annabeth slaps his hand away. "You're an idiot," she mumbles pulling him in for a hug.

"Thanks. What happened to you?" He asks pulling back and examining her at arms length for other injuries. "How's your head?-"

"Where's Thanatos?" Jason asks interrupting Percy's questions. "And how were you not electrocuted?"

"I don't have to get wet. The lighting hit the water. He was struck though. I have no idea where he went. We fell into the water and I came here. He may have gone back to report."

"Then we should get back," Hazel states. Percy nods and orders the group to hold hands and close their eyes.

The four end up back on Olympus where they had left their friends.

"Perfect!" Piper shouts running over the others with her. Thalia runs and slaps her brother before hugging him. "Go to Camp! Now!"

Percy complies and everyone appears at Camp Half-Blood.

If the dark dome and the vanished cabins weren't enough to make the camp look like somewhere you don't want to be.

No one would want to be here even if paid.

Campers attempting to fight monsters. Trees are burning. Nymphs are screaming. Monster dust makes the grass look like a golden carpet. Ruined by the blood and campers bodies...

But the worst by far is the pissed looking Nyx, and Erebus standing atop the hill.

-----

Hey!

Only 2-3 chapters left and an epilogue!

It's almost over... 😢

-Jaz