-23-

((I have a feeling Kristen is horribly OOC always, pls forgive me I have seen her like three times total))

((Thank you to Alastair_awsten and 92273M for beta reading! Thank you to both 92273M and Cinical_Demon for helping out with that throughout several chapters and oneshots <3))

((Warnings: food, a little more deadnaming than usual?))

((Deadnaming is a big deal in many chapters to come. If you aren't in a place where you can handle it, prioritize yourself. It's ok to skip or leave. Starting next chapter I'll be leaving recaps at the end))

Y/n woke slowly to a gentle tap on his shoulder, rolling over as he groggily opened his eyes.

"Y/nnnn," Wilbur whispered, stretching out y/n's name as he poked him again. "Phil made breakfast, y/n."

Y/n squinted at him, pushing himself up regardless. He could see Wilbur's silhouette slip out of the cracked door as he stretched his shoulders out. He flopped back over, rolling off of the bed and onto the floor to his bag. Digging through it, he pulled out some clothes which he felt.. less uncomfortable than usual in. 

He stood and shut the door gently before changing as quickly as possible. 

Cracking the door he could hear the sounds of life down the hall. The hum of voices, too far away and quiet to differentiate. The pop of the toaster. The buzz of the heater. He swung the door open and walked out to everyone else.

"I'm almost done over here," Phil spoke, seemingly to the other two. "Oh, morning D/n! Didn't see you there."

"Good morning D/n!" Kristen copied. "Aw, you look lovely today!" she smiled warmly. He smiled back. It was far too early for this.

"Good morning," Wilbur waved to him. No one else had the chance to catch the way that Wilbur flinched just slightly on Y/n's behalf. Not to mention how well he immediately covered it up as a shiver.

Y/n was starting to wonder if he should even tell anyone at all. He nearly regretted telling even Wilbur. It'd dragged his friend deep into the closet along with him in a sense, and no matter how gentle and reassuring Wilbur was, he'd always feel like he was being unfair to him. 

If he hadn't told him, sure he might be totally alone, but maybe he'd be able to avoid worrying anyone. But it wasn't as if he could just undo it. Unless... 

No, he wasn't going to un-come out. Just the thought of lying so completely, of not only pretending to be a she again, but of having to backtrack, invalidate himself, and portray himself as just a misguided girl... he couldn't do that.

So he'd remain a burden. 

"Alright kids, momma bird's coming," Phil called as he walked in. He passed beans on slightly burned toast amongst the group before plopping down near Kristen. 

"Phillll," Wilbur whined. "Beans on toast is gross."

"It's good for you," Phil argued. "I think," he muttered under his breath. Wilbur rolled his eyes.

"It's kinda weird," Y/n added casually, more to cause problems and support Wilbur than to genuinely contribute. 

"See! Someone gets it. It's all smushy," Wilbur said while eating it anyway. "Beans," he said with distaste.