-44-

((Thank you all for over 400k reads! That's crazy!! Also crazy that I'm 18 now, wow))

((Short chapter, but here you are, some y/n content to let you guys know how things have been goin))

((Warnings: nothing special))

Y/n lay on his front on his bed, kicking his feet behind him. He adjusted his head on his hands, propped up on his elbows as he watched the glowing icons of the discord call on his phone.

"How you holdin' up?" Sapnap's voice came through, slightly distorted for a moment.

"Is everything going alright at home?" Niki asked, voice as sweet and bright as ever, caring and soft.

"If not, you won't have to stay a day longer than legally necessary," Fundy said, deadly serious. Wilbur hummed in agreement with him.

"Actually, it's going surprisingly well," Y/n smiled, pushing himself to sit up. "Better than expected, at least. My dad's been.. struggling with it, but my mom keeps him mostly in check, and it's not like he'd disown me for it at the least."

"Thank god," Wil sighed. "Was worried sick for you."

Y/n was about to apologize before laughter came through the other end, everyone else agreeing and sharing their relief.

"Just know, anything you need," Wil continued.

"Thanks Wil," he leaned back on one palm, picking up the phone. "Oh, and guess what!"

"Ooh, what?" Niki's smile was clear through the phone.

"You found 20 pounds of cocaine in the street? Stole a gang of dogs? You've found proof of the existence of extraterrestrial life?" Sapnap spat out as if he'd been considering this for a while and not just improvising.

"Well, no-" Y/n started.

"Did you use a ouija board to summon the ghost of George Washington? Henry Sewell? Ooh, the first Queen Elizabeth?"

"You've stumbled upon an inheritance and will never have to work again," Fundy joked. "Or robbed a bank. Same difference."

"Even better," Y/n laughed. "My parents returned the binder I'd gotten a while back. They picked it up from the mail and immediately took it away, but I think they understand now," he adjusted the strap as he spoke, another wave of euphoria rushing over him at this new possession.

"No kidding, congrats!" Sapnap spoke a little too loudly.

"Just be safe with it, Y/n. I know it can be tempting, but-" Fundy started, but Y/n interrupted.

"Will do, big man."

"Alright, alright."

"Gentle on the kid," Wilbur joked. "He's had a rough few weeks."

Y/n's high mood sunk for just a moment, knowing that Wilbur's last few weeks hadn't gone smoothly either, but he brushed it off for the time being. Wilbur had asked him not to press on it, and he didn't plan to, especially in front of others.

"It's still not easy, but I think things are getting better. Just wish it went smoother for others," he said instead.

"Times are a-changin," Sapnap assured him. "Slow work, but we're on the up."

"Everyone's journey is different, some smoother than others, some messier, and none to be ashamed of," Niki added. "This is your own journey, and yours alone. I'm grateful you've allowed us to be a part of it."

Y/n smiled, trying not to get overly emotional.

"You're all too kind," he muttered. "So, any crimes or wild partying since I've been gone?" he joked.

"Oh yeah, I invited Tommy's mom over."

"He's not even here, Sap, can't the kid get a break?" Wilbur laughed as Sapnap 'oof'ed in the background as somebody likely shoved him. "No, we've mostly just gone walking around Brighton."

"The weather's been lovely," Niki added.

"She's the one who dragged us out," Fundy snickered. "Something about us 'never going outside on our own.'"

"Well?" Y/n joked. "Is she really wrong, though?"

A brief silence, followed by reluctant agreement through the line. Gamers and their metaphorical allergy to sunlight. Not that y/n was any better about it, the hermit.

"Y/n!"

He turned to the door, realizing it'd come from downstairs.

"I think my mom's calling," he said, preparing to hang up on the call. "Gonna have to go."

"Stay safe, Y/n," Wil said, the only specific response he heard clearly through the others wishing him luck and a nice evening.

"You too, all of you. See you guys later!"

He sat fully up as he ended the call from his end, swinging his legs off the bed and moving to open his door. He shouted down the stairs back to ask her what was up, but didn't get a response. Parents.

He headed down, looking around until he spotted her.

"Need something?"

"Ah, Y/n. Hiya sweetie," she smiled. "It's good to see you."

"Yeah, uh.." he looked around, a bit suspicious. "You called?"

"I'm almost finished with dinner, I was hoping you'd come down tonight," she said, turning back to her work. "You've been up in your room more and more this last while."

He winced slightly, but nodded.

"Didn't really notice, have been trying to study," he said, not entirely lying. He had been working on that more since getting his computer back at last, but was mostly distracted by his friends.

"School is important, but so is family. Are you up for a movie night, like we used to do, or is my girl too busy working hard?" she joked, before pausing. "Ah, sorry, my boy. Is my boy too busy for some family time tonight?"

He considered, biting his lip with a nod.

"I think I can do that, yeah," he forced a smile. Being around his dad could be tricky, as he avoided names and pronouns at all costs, clearly not to terms with things yet, but it wasn't too bad. Hopefully he'd come around, and either way, Y/n was who he was, that much wasn't going to change.

So for now, just doing his best to be himself was all he could do.

At the least, he'd found people he knew would be family even if some of his blood family didn't end up wanting to be.

((There are a lot of people out there, and you will find people who are good for you. Be it blood family, chosen family, friends, romantic relationships, etc, there are people who will choose you and who you will choose))

((While these fics are fun to read and imagine, there are people who you'll find in real life in time. Some of you already have, some haven't, but you will. Hang in, and don't get too parasocial, degenerates o7))