How to be consistent

Consistency is a great characteristic to build and implement in your life. The key to consistency is setting and achieving specific goals. Start by determining how you want to be more consistent in your life, and aim for these small goals. Over time, as you become more consistent, keep yourself motivated and accountable. 

Create specific and realistic goals

Create specific and realistic goals. It's hard to be consistent if you don't have a strong idea of what you need to do. When starting your new path, with specific, measurable results

Start by defining what consistency means to you. Do you need to be consistent about your exercise habits? Are you aiming for a higher quality of work? Do you want to be more available and reliable in your relationships?Once you've identified your end goal, come up with smaller steps to reach it.  

Create a schedule for yourself. It can be easy to pile on tasks and promises, but a calendar, planner, or schedule will keep you on track. A schedule will help you plan your day so that you get everything done on time. It will also help you understand what commitments you do and do not have time for.

Place reminders around your home, workspace, and belongings. Sometimes, it is easy to forget our new goals, habits, commitments, or promises, especially when we make them to ourselves. To remind yourself throughout the day, put messages to yourself in visible areas.

Make promises only if you can keep them.
Consistency often involves making commitments and keeping them. It is easy to get overwhelmed, however, if you make too many promises. If you think a request may be difficult to do, say no.

Reward yourself when you get something done. If you do complete your goals, give yourself a reward. Even small goals deserve small rewards to help keep you motivated throughout the process

Keep going if you make a mistake. Even the most consistent and well-organized people slip up sometimes. Plan for potential failure, and don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake along the way.

Just because you had to cancel an appointment, break a promise, or pass a deadline doesn't mean you're not consistent. Sometimes, despite our best planning, external factors can get in the way

Use motivational tools to keep going even when you don't feel like it. When you're tired or stressed, it can be easy just to let your goals slide for a day, but these actions can quickly cause you to get off track. If you're feeling down or lazy, try to find new sources of motivation.

Space out small rewards throughout the day to keep you going. For example, if you're writing a long paper for school, give yourself a 5 minute break every time you finish a page or 2.

Hold yourself accountable.
To be consistent you have to make sure that you recognize when you don't reach the standards and goals that you've set. In these moments, consider if your goals are realistic or ask yourself what you can do to improve.

Ask a friend, family member, mentor, or fellow student to be your accountability partner. Have them check in once a week to see what your progress is like. If they see you not behaving consistently, give them permission to call you out.Don't beat yourself up when you don't hit the mark. What matters is that you keep working towards your goals and towards consistency

Being consistent is no easy task, and it will only take time and motivation. If you have any questions regarding this, you are more than welcome  to ask (by commenting) below and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

Ask a Question ➟ 

-Amy