Chapter 48

Astrid

I felt like I was on fire. My legs were pinned to the bed and huge arms trapped my torso. It was like being strapped to a bed in a furnace.

I peeled my eyes open and looked down where a ginger laid curled around my waist, their head on my stomach. The other ginger had his head laying on my chest. Both their arms were draped over me or curled around one of my limbs while their legs were tangled with mine.

They were hot, in looks and temperature.

Despite feeling like I was burning alive, I was content.  I never thought the twins would be so snuggly, but I was really happy that they were.

Mentally, I did a check over of my body. My throat felt better that it did yesterday - which was a small miracle - but my face ached.

I wanted to see the damage on my face, but I couldn't bring myself to move. I hated the thought of disturbing the twins who were both currently in a deep sleep.

Their soft snores brought a stupid smile to my face  and I debated falling back asleep, that was until my phone started buzzing.

The nightstand looked to be a mile away and I dreaded having to move towards it. With my arm outstretched, I reached for the stand. I only had to wiggle a little bit before my finger tips brushed over my phone. I yanked my phone, the charger falling out, and swiped the green button.

"Hello?"

"Good morning, kiddo." I was glad when I recognized my dads voice. I had made the stupid mistake of answering without checking.

"Hey Dad? What's up?" I whispered.

"I was curious how your game yesterday went." He said, though I knew he was lying. He could've simply just looked online to see the scores and if he wasn't the good parent, then I would think he was conniving. However, I got the sense that he just wanted to talk.

"Uh, it was good." I said in a low voice. "We won easily and our team connected really well on the ice." I felt one the bodies laying on me start to stir.

My father chuckled on the other line. "You sound like a coach," he pointed out. "When do you graduate?"

His questions were strange. "In three months? Why?" I inquired.

"I want you to coach alongside me." He said simply as if that sentence wasn't a bombshell.

I stilled as the head on my chest moved. Colten tossed and turned until he had his back facing me. Once he settled, I decided to risk slipping out of the hold of Corey. He fought at first, but eventually I got his arm and legs untangled from mine and I slowly slid out of bed.

"I'm sorry, I could've sworn you just offered me -a barely graduated college kid - an elite position for a professional hockey team," I scoffed while opening the door to my room with one hand.

The hallway was empty and I didn't want to risk disturbing the twins anymore than I already have.

"I've already talked to the general manager and the owners of the team and they think that with your background you would do great here. Not to mention the PR it would bring in," my father explained.

"You know I don't like the spotlight," I felt the need to remind him as I processed his words. I know my father wouldn't use me as a publicity stunt, but the owners and general manager definitely would. However, for the pay I would be getting and experiences, I could care less about bring used to bring in a few reporters.

"I know. I know. I just figured the positives would outweigh the negatives. Not to mention, you would get to be around some of your college teammates."

"You are going to draft some of my teammates?" I asked immediately.

"I've already drafted some," he chuckled.

"Who?" I pushed.

"Well I plan on drafting all five of the gentlemen you introduced me to. I've studied their play styles, attitudes, and backgrounds and I believe each of them could really make a difference here. My bosses agree, though it's highly usual for stuff like this to happen." My father sounded genuine and my heart cracked a bit at his words. He was doing this for me.

"Dad, this is unheard of. Five guys have never been drafted from the same team. Plus guys from the same school. How do you even have space for five rookies?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Well we are trading quite a number of guys and we have lots of wiggle room thanks to us sucking this year, so the general manager is ready for something drastic. We believe this might be our right move. Especially if those five guys win a national title before coming here." I could hear the smile in my dads voice as he spoke. He knew what this meant to me without me having to say it.

"Dad-" I choked up.

"I know kiddo, just consider my offer. I have four more phone calls to make and I hope to see your team advance to nationals. Best of luck to you and I love you."

"I love you too, dad," I said before hanging up and falling against the wall behind me.

My dad was going to draft my guys. Which meant we would all be able to live together in Seattle. Luka would have no problem finding a job and I bet my dad already had something lined up for him.

It was a dream come true. I wouldn't have to make any hard decisions or think about leaving any of them. Instead we would all be able to continue on with our lives.

A tear slipped down my cheek.

I was running the whole conversation back through my head, barely believing that it was real.
I suddenly realized something. He said he had four more phone calls to make. Which meant he already had called one of my guys. Somebody was holding out on me.

I wasn't mad, just curious and dying to know who would keep something that big from me.

A door opened down the hall and I quickly wiped my cheek. I probably looked strange - crying in the hallway while just in shorts and a t-shirt. So I plastered a smile on my face and looked down to whoever had entered the hallway.

My smile quickly fell as I recognized the blonde that was grinning like a devil.

"This was not how I was expecting to win," Luka smirked as he approached.

"I could disqualify you for cheating," I pointed out as he stood barely a foot front me.

His hands came on either side of my head as he propped himself against the wall. "How have I cheated?"

My mind blanked and came up empty with excuses as his intoxicating scent of citrus filled my senses. "I'll get back to you on that," I said as he leaned forward and gave me a quick kiss.

"I look forward to tonight, Ash." He smirked before pushing off the wall and walking towards the elevator.

I found myself also looking forward to tonight, but in the meantime, it was time to get ready for opening ceremonies and then for the game later tonight.

Walking back in my room, I found the two bodies on my bed were upright but barely awake as they focused on the cartoons that were on the TV.

With a smile, I said, "you two are really not morning people."

One of them made a sound of agreement as I grabbed my travel bag and carried it into the bathroom.

I decided to curl my hair and throw on some mascara, mostly because there would be a lot of pictures taken today at the opening ceremonies. Plus it never hurts to try and look decent every now and then. I didn't dare cover the light coloring that was starting to take formation as a bruise on my eye and cheek. That was a badge and I was going to wear it with pride.

~~~~~~
Thank you for reading Chapter 48. Sorry for not updating for so long, I got really busy for a bit there. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I love reading your guys comments so please make sure to leave lots!

~Until Next Chapter