Chapter 3

Astrid (Aiden)

My body ached as I pulled myself out of my bed. My thighs and shoulders burned as I rolled them and stretched a little bit.

A glance at my alarm clock told me that it was six in the morning and way too early for Ryder and Henrik to be blaring Shinedown.

A shower sounded lovely especially after the restless night I had just endured, so I grabbed some fresh clothes from my closet and went to my en suite bathroom.

I paused when I saw myself in the mirror. Dark bags hung under my eyes, definitely due to my lack of sleep. My green eyes danced lightly though as the thought of playing hockey later tickled at the back of my mind. My red hair hung in messy tendrils around me. Something else caught my eye though. I seemed to be losing weight. A lot at that if the sudden appearance of my ribs had anything to say about it.

I pushed down my worries and got in the shower. The hot water beat out all of the knots and kinks in my back as I stood under the stream.

A new pain emerged though despite my soreness from yesterday's practice. The slight pain in my throat had me pausing. The reminder of my biggest secret.

The pain died down as fast as it appeared but the reminder left me breathless.

I'm fine. I turned the shower off while convincing myself of that. I reached for my underwear and shorts and put them on. Then I threw on my usual grey sweatpants on top of that. I grabbed a sports bra and boob wrap. Putting my bra on first then wrapping the wrap on tight. Finally, I threw on an old hockey shirt and a sweatshirt.

I brushed my hair, put it in a ponytail then shoved my ponytail under a hockey beanie.

Finally satisfied with my 'boyish' look, I left the bathroom.

Perfect timing too as a knock sounded from my front door.

"Ast-Aiden open up." Luka stuttered over my two names. Thankfully picking the right one in the end.

"Just come in you dork." I snorted at Luka's politeness. Literally the only dude on campus who's gentlemanly enough to knock before barging in.

He opened the door and peaked in, ensuring that it truly was safe to come in.

"You realize I do have a room that I change in right? I don't like walking around naked. Too freeing for me." I faked a shiver as I walked into the kitchen and dug around in the cupboards.

Luka grinned as he sat down at one of my bar stools. "Yeah, but you never know." He shrugged and rubbed his hands together. "So what's for breakfast?"

"I was just gonna eat a protein bar, but now that you're here I might as well make some French toast." I pulled out a pan. Luka suddenly frowned. "What you don't like french toast?"

"No, it's not that, I love french toast. It's just that you seem to be losing weight. Have you noticed that?" Luka stared at where my sweatshirt hung off my collarbone.

"Uh no." I lied as I gathered ingredients for breakfast.

Luka quirked his eyebrow. "Have you been sleeping alright?" He studied the bags under my eyes.

"Just fine." I ignored his pressing question as I started mixing ingredients.

"Astrid." Luka's voice held an edge of warning. His teal eyes flicked to mine as his frown deepened.

"I'm fine, Luka. Maybe I'd be better if," I turned and shouted at the wall that I shared with Ryder and Henrik, "People weren't blaring their music all day, every day!"

Luka just chuckled as I glared for a few more seconds at the wall.

"So I'll take that as a 'you should probably keep tabs on me Luka'" The bastard teased as I went back to cooking.

"Prick," I muttered. He just chuckled and watched as I finished cooking our breakfast.

"What time is the game?" I asked Luka as we both sat at the counter eating breakfast.

"Puck drops at six tonight. But it's a five-hour drive and of course everyone needs to be there two hours early. So I'd say you need to be at the bus by ten just to be safe." Luka explained. I glanced at the clock. The time read-only eight, so I had plenty of time to prepare for the game.

"Are you driving with Doc?"

"Nope. Doc said I could manage this game all on my own so I will be riding the bus with everyone."

Luka is a student athletic trainer for our hockey team. He used to play for this college team but after a career-ending injury he decided he'd rather watch from the sidelines than the stands, and plus he loved sports medicine, so he opted for a career as an Athletic Trainer. Luckily he's been a good friend and has been very supportive of me whilst I've played for this team. In fact, he's been a huge lifeline for me.

"Speaking of which, remember to bring cards," Luka said as he finished his plate and took it to the kitchen sink. He then preceded to wash the plate and put it in the dishwasher. He did the same with my plate when he noticed I was done eating.

"I'll only remember if you remember to bring my PB and J," I smirked as he leaned against the counter.

"Like I could ever forget." He said crossing his arms. His shirt showed his huge muscles with the action. I tried my hardest to ignore the show as I got up and walked to my room. Successfully managing only to peek once at Lukas well built and muscled body.

An hour later I emerged from my room with a bus bag packed with snacks, drinks, chargers, and games for the bus ride there and back. I changed my sweat pants to some khakis and my shirt to a nice tucked dress shirt. I hate dressing up for away games. I did pack extra clothes so I could change on the bus for the ride back so I could wear comfy clothes.

Luka had made himself a home on my couch, flipping through channels until he noticed me.

"Ready to go?" He looked over my outfit before his eyes met my face.

"Your car or mine?" I said in a way of answering.

"Mine definitely." Luka faked a cringe. "Your jeep won't make it to the bus without breaking down."

I rolled my eyes. He was wrong and he knew it. My jeep was only three years old but thanks to my great care it looks brand new. I've also had zero problems with it. It's just that Luka hates jeeps. He praises his Chevy like it's a deity.

Luka held the door open for me and locked it with my keys that I handed him. While I headed straight for his truck.

A brand new four-door maroon Chevy Silverado. I always did drool a bit at the color of his truck. Maroon has always been my favorite color, although my jeep was a solid white.

I jumped in the passenger seat and put my bag between my legs. Luka turned away from my door and headed down the steps right as my neighbors left their place.

Ugh, Ryder and Henrik.

A slow grin crept onto Luka's face as he called out to the duo. I could tell he asked them a question though I couldn't hear exactly what it was since the truck muffled his voice.

Ryder and Henrik exchanged a glance, shrugged, and turning away from their cars, they headed towards Luka's truck. Towards me.

Luka got in the truck and started it.

"I'll kill you," I said over the rumble of the truck right before Ryder and Henrik got up into the truck.

"Hey Aiden," Henrik said politely as he buckled his seatbelt.

"Hey Drauger," I mumbled his last name as I pouted. Shooting one last glare at Luka, I reached over to the radio and turned it on. Playing a genre I had never heard bleeding through the walls into my apartment. Bluegrass.

Their groans brightened the situation slightly as Luka drove us to the ice rink where the bus waited.

~~~~~~
Thank you for reading Chapter 3! I hope you liked this Chapter. Let me know who your favorite character is, besides Astrid, in the comments. I love feedback.
~Until Next Chapter.