Chapter 26

Astrid

The bed shifted underneath me as I brought myself to a sitting position on shaky arms.

No light peaked through the curtains. Night. I must've slept for a while.

I took in the room as my mind slowly woke up.

My bag had been moved, it now sat on the computer chair by the desk. Besides that, the room seemed untouched.

I stared down at the thin tan comforter that covered my legs. What good is this thin blanket?

I threw the comforter off me and slid off the bed. On shaky legs, I stumbled over to my overnight bag and pulled out my shower supplies.

Showers have always been my go-to comfort.

Not even bothering at getting new clothes, I made my way to the bathroom, locked the door, and stripped.

I paused, staring at myself in the mirror.

Why would anyone want you? Why would anyone choose you? Stupid Lonely Astrid, always falling for the oldest tricks in the book.

Thoroughly disgusted with myself, I stepped into the shower and cranked the handle to blistering hot.

As the water continued getting hotter, I grew more and more numb. Numb. Always fucking numb.

My body has a sick method of helping me cope by just going numb, always without fail.

I watched as my pale skin turned red and steam filled the bathroom, but I felt nothing. Numb

Reaching for my shower supplies, I retrieved my body wash and scrubber.

Then as if blistering my skin wasn't enough, I scrubbed. And scrubbed. And scrubbed. My skin cracked and protested, but I kept scrubbing.

I watched as a bubble of blood rose to the surface of my cracked skin on my chest. Still Numb

Then as if the hot water wasn't bad enough, I cranked the handle all the way to freezing.

My body shivered at the sudden drastic change in temperature.

Goosebumps coated my red and cracked skin now. Still fucking Numb.

I was doing the same ritual that I did in high school. It was my way of coping with the betrayal. I trusted Bentley just like I trusted him. How foolish.

As my body froze, my thoughts did the opposite.

My mind ran through every conversation, every promise, every sweet touch.

Every. Fucking. Lie

Bentley, Corey, Colten, Henrik, Luka, and Ryder. What do they all have in common?

They're all amazing liars.

They were just like my old teammates. They lied. They tricked me into believing that I belonged and was important.

If Bentley is seeing another woman, sweet and caring Bentley, then I can't fucking imagine what the others are doing behind my back.

How foolish of me? How stupid to think that I would ever find my happily ever after? How idiotic does one have to be to believe that they would ever be loved, hell even LIKED, by six amazing guys?

I scoffed at my sheer absurdity as I stepped out of the shower.

Once again, I found myself staring in the mirror.