Chapter 16

Astrid

For the next three weeks, I managed to focus on my classes for once instead of hockey. But even then, due to it being my senior year, I quite liked the classes I had so I found them easy.

Typically, I got out of class around three in the afternoon, again due to my schedule being based around hockey, so I had a lot of free time.

Luka was usually busy at the sports complex and not wanting to bother him, I usually opted to instead go to the library and study.

Set to graduate college in a couple of months with my Physical Education degree, I found my workload to be quite light. My degree will be useful for me if and when my hockey career dies out, so I can coach and be around the sport while also teaching athletes how to play and love the sport.

Since it was a Friday, I knew the guys had practice tonight and like usual, I go and watch them.

Henrik and Bentley have spent the last three weeks going back and forth between their apartments and mine, usually ending up sleeping in my living room.

Luka often joined them too. Though he seemed to never want to leave, especially if it meant I was alone. I had this nagging feeling that he's hiding something, but not wanting to push him, I've left him alone until he wishes to talk about whatever is bothering him.

The twins came and went as they please. When they did stay the night they typically slept in my guest bedroom.

Its become so normal to have everyone around. I've almost forgotten what it's like to be alone.

Walking out of my afternoon class, I headed to my jeep and drove to the rink.

Coach usually held practice from five to seven so I figured I'd just hang out until practice starts.

The Minnesotian January is holding up to its name, snowing pretty much every day for most of the day.

I don't mind it though. I've always had quite the affinity for cold weather.

Pulling into the rink parking lot, I parked next to Luka's maroon Silverado.

I grabbed my fuzzy and very soft blanket from my backseat and carried it with me into the rink. Then I found my spot in the locker room and curled up on the floor with my back against the bench and knees to my chest.

My ribs don't hurt nearly as much now, and a week ago I was finally able to make it through the day without pain killers.

I pulled my phone out and started watching Parks and Recreation on it while all wrapped up in my cozy throw blanket.

I sat like this until the locker room suddenly opened. I jumped and my heart raced as it was unexpected.

Blonde hair and blue eyes popped through the door.

"Ash? Are you okay?" Luka asked, slightly worried.

"Yeah. I'm trying to watch my show. And you scared me thank you very much." I tried to glare at him, but his adorable face was too cute.

"You'll live. Anyways I wanted to talk to you about something." Luka came and sat on the bench that split the room in half.

"Yeah, what's up?" I put my phone down.

"How have you been feeling lately?"

"Good. Barely any pain these past couple of days. Why?" I tilted my head curiously at him.

"Well I think you've allowed yourself time to heal enough, that you could skate tonight if you want," Luka said as a smile crossed his face.

"Really?!" I jumped up and ignored the dull ache in my chest and stomach.

"Really. I brought your gear in case you decided you wanted to skate." Luka explained as he got up and opened the door. He reached into the hallway and picked up my bag and stick, which must've been leaning against the wall.

"You're serious?" I could barely contain my excitement as he handed me my bag.

"Yes. Doc and I are on the same page. On one condition." He held my stick from just out of my reach.

"Anything."

"You take it easy and if anything feels wrong, you get off the ice and tell me immediately."

"I promise." I agreed and he finally handed me my stick.

"Okay, I'll be watching you out there."

He left me in the locker room, to which I wasted no time in getting dressed. He had even left some leggings and a sports bra in my bag for me.

I got dressed carefully and right as I finished the locker room door opened again.

Ryder sauntered in, his bag swung over his shoulder, in his usual rich, white, hockey boy attire.

He put his bag down and looked up from his phone, just noticing me, he scowled.

He glanced at my body. "I take it you're skating with us tonight." He said very unenthusiastically

"Oh shucks. I was hoping to surprise you. What gave me away?" I said with sarcasm dripping from every word.

His scowl somehow deepened even more. He sighed in exasperation. "Look, Astrid." He pinched the bridge of his nose with his pointer and thumb as if exhausted. "I would like to say... I'm sorry."

I swear my jaw hit the floor.

"You? Ryder Skogmit want to apologize to me?" I gaped like an idiot.

"Yes. It seems we've started off on the wrong foot." Ryder cleared his throat awkwardly. When was the last time the man apologized to anybody?!

"Well, part of that is my fault. But I accept your apology, Ryder." As I said that, relief seemed to sag through him.

His ice-blue eyes softened as they met mine. "Really just that easy?" The next bit he mumbled but I heard him nonetheless. "You're surprising."

"Well if the captains are constantly at each other's throats, it may set a bad example." I shrugged.

"Oh and Astrid." My name sounded like a purr from his deep voice. "For what it's worth, I would never ever hit a woman. I need you to know that."

His need to reassure me of that kind of struck me as odd but I nodded my head. I left as he began to get dressed, knowing the last thing I need was to see his delicious body.

With my stick in hand and helmet secured, I stepped onto the ice and felt a huge amount of relief as soon as my blades began cutting the ice.

Home Sweet Home.

~~~~~~
Thanks for reading Chapter 16. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know in the comments who your favorite character is, besides Astrid. Feedback is always welcome.
~Until Next Chapter