Chapter 18

Astrid

I heard a whistle blow and pushed off the table, "practice is starting."

"Where the fuck do you think you're going?" Colten asked with a growl.

"I just said, practice is starting." I tried to push past him but he grabbed my arm. Tight.

"You're crazy if you think you're getting back on that ice, especially after what just happened," Colten said as he pulled me back to the table.

I looked to Luka who appeared to agree with Colten.

"I'm fine. I just had a little episode." Words were still hard as I struggled to fully catch my breath. "Please get your hand off me," I said to Colten who hadn't seemed to notice that he was still gripping my arm. He relinquished his grasp and stepped back.

"I'm taking you to the hospital," Luka said suddenly as he stalked over to his coat and grabbed his keys.

"What! No!"

"What do you want me to do then Astrid?" Luka turned to me with wet eyes. "You just collapsed during practice. You just coughed up blood, and you expect us to be okay with that? You want us to just let you get back on the ice?"

"Please don't make this a big deal." I hung my head and practically begged.

"And why not? You have fucking cancer." Colten asked.

"You don't think I don't know? You don't think it hasn't been haunting me ever since I found out? I have cancer. I could be dying. And the only time I'm not constantly reminded of that is when I'm out on that ice." Tears raced down my face as I met Colten's amber eyes and Luka's sparkling blue. "So please just let me get back on that ice."

Luka shook his head and I swear my heart cracked. "Astrid, I'm so sorry but I can't let that happen. Your sick and you need to get help. Skating could only make it worse." Although Luka's voice left no room for argument I could tell he was trying to stay strong.

Colten tilted his head curiously at me. "Why haven't you gotten treatment? Or have you ever considered Chemo?"

"Because treatment would destroy my body and hockey is my life. If I can't skate then what is the point?" I shrugged as Luka stepped next to me and slid his arm around my waist. His hand gently rubbed my back, while his scent comforted me.

"You're so much more than your athletic ability, you know that right?" Luka asked as he softly kissed my temple.

Colten watched the exchange with curiosity alit in his eyes.

"Sometimes I'm not so sure." I put my head on Lukas's shoulder as I worked through some breathing exercises that the doctor had shown me.

Luka's hand suddenly stilled. "Do your parents know?"

"Oh gods no." I rolled my eyes. "Mother would ship me back to Norway as soon as she could. And she would never let me leave the house, all while she published her struggles of having a kid with cancer. She would squeeze every penny she could out of my condition. I would rather the cancer take me now."

The two looked concerned at the ease I spoke with.

"Astrid, I have something I need to tell you." Luka finally announced.

I could tell by his mannerisms earlier that he was holding something back.

I simply stared into his blue eyes as I waited for him to go on.

He sighed, "I knew about the cancer. The doctor that did your lung surgery called me to update your charts and well he told me about the mass on your scans."

I was surprised at first. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because I needed you to admit it to me first. I needed you to realize your condition was not something to joke about. But the doctor called back a couple of days later and told me some other stuff." Luka's attitude changed as he finally got out all of the stuff that had been weighing him down.

"What did he say? Has it gotten worse?" My heart started to race faster as the suspension grew.

"No actually. The opposite. Your mass seems to be shrinking but he would still like you to go get it checked out to make sure it isn't spreading elsewhere." Colten and I seemed to release a breath at the same time.

"Wait, how did he know it had shrunk?"

"Well, he got in touch with your main physician. And they must've traded notes or something because it seems they are both on the same page. Your cancer is not dangerous. But it could be if you keep pushing yourself like you just did." Luka frowned down at me. His blue eyes twinkled through with the good news

I looked over at Colten who also seemed relieved.

"So that's why you let me skate tonight. You were testing me?" I glared slightly at Luka, who grinned sheepishly.

"Yes and no. I wanted you to see your own limits so that we could set some boundaries going further."

"So you're still going to let me play?" My excitement rose.

"Not today no. Maybe tomorrow if you sleep well tonight." Luka tried to talk sternly but my excitement was too much.

And to my surprise, it got the best of me. I suddenly found myself launching towards Luka. My lips crashed into his, while my body slid off the table and onto the floor so I stood in front of him.

Lukas's arms crushed me against his front. I felt him smile as our lips danced together.

Colten cleared his throat and I pulled away, embarrassed. Luka didn't let me get far as his hand caught my wrist and he grinned.

"If that's how you thank me then I should do nice stuff more often." His stunning grin made him all the hotter.

He let go of my wrist and I stumbled to Colten, trying to clear my head.

I found myself wrapping my arms around the huge twin. Who almost immediately accepted the hug.

"And what's this for?" Colten asked, his gruff voice insanely hot.

"For helping me and being patient while I was being slightly irrational."

Colten and Luka chuckled.

Once I finally found the strength to pull away from Colten's warm embrace, I turned to Luka.

"Well Trainer, we got a practice to watch, and you," I turned to Colten, "Have some drills to skate."

"Aye aye, captain," Colten said. He suddenly reached out towards me and with insane precision, he lifted me off the ground and into his arms.

I squealed and playfully slapped his chest. Looking over his shoulder I saw Luka shake his head, but follow us to the ice.

As we reached the ice and I found myself surrounded by my six guy friends, I realized something.

Cancer fucking sucks, but with these six by my side, I might just be able to get through it.

~~~~~~
Thank you for reading Chapter 18. I'm so insanely sorry for not posting for so long. I've been so busy, but I think everything is finally starting to calm down. I hoped you liked this chapter. As always, feel free to drop some feedback in the comments.
~Until Next Chapter