Chapter 51

Astrid

Tucker collapsed to my right with a huff as Ozzy leaped over the boards and I waited for my shift change. 

Coach was barking out directions to our defense, telling them who they needed to watch and if they were tired then they needed to change. The guys were starting to tire more frequently as the third period was almost over.

The scoreboard read 1-0. Our lead was dismal but it was a lead nevertheless.

The twins came flying to the bench as the play shifted to the offensive. Bentley and his partner were on the ice in a flash. Bentley flew high while the other defensemen waited down lower in case of the play shifting again. 

I watch Ryder intently, who was already on the ice and fighting for the puck in the corner of the ice. My attention snapped though when my shift change came flying back to the bench and I held no hesitation as I flew over the boards and onto the ice. 

"Here!" I shouted with a tap of my stick as I flew up the ice towards Ryder.

Thanks to my call out he knew where I was without even looking, which was helpful as he managed to take control of the puck and passed to me with ease.

It was with unusual ease that I skated around the net as the other team started scrambling to get control.

I risked a glance around the ice. Everyone was tied up besides Bentley. We shared a look that lasted meer milliseconds before I passed him the puck and found myself in front of the net.

"Screened!" The goalie shouted from behind me, however, his team wasn't listening. One of them skated at Bentley trying to get the puck from him, but it was too late.

The puck left Bentley's stick and came flying towards me. I moved my stick to try and get a tip but the puck already had bounced off the goalie.

It was unfortunate that the goalie hadn't covered it as the puck was loose and I scrambled to reach it.

Other players joined in the race but I got there first and immediately shot it at the net.

The goalie was ready and blocked it again.

It was another race to the puck but before I could get it on my stick, a hard force slammed into my back.

I fell to the ice. Hard. 

My world was officially rocked as the air rushed out of my lungs. My mind raced to restart the faltering organs while also processing the surrounding noises. 

I registered Ryder's voice and the mass amounts of curses falling from his lips. Ozzy's grunts became clear as I briefly saw him throwing fists with someone. The refs' shrill whistle ringed through my skull as he waved over the nearest trainer. Two doors flew open at nearly identical times, however, it was an unfamiliar face that came into view first. 

"Your trainer is almost here," The stranger told me as her eyes scanned me for obvious injuries. "That was a hell of a hit you took."  She looked up just as Luka came into view. 

His face was pale with worry but other than that he kept his facial features indecipherable. 

"Hey Astrid, how are you feeling?" his warm voice gave me comfort. 

I wanted to answer his question, but I was too scared. Too scared to move. Too scared to breathe. 

What if I was really hurt again? 

His blue eyes narrowed at me when I didn't answer while his hands slipped my glove off discretely so he could check my pulse.

I took a shaky deep breath and was relieved when nothing felt pokey or extremely painful.