Chapter 27

Astrid

My music drowned out the conversations happening around me while I started gearing up.

Socks, cup, leg pads, big socks, breezers, skates, chest pads, elbow pads, then finally jersey.

Like usual, I made to stand up and go to the training room so I could have my usual PB&J before the game, only to chicken out.

I can't face Luka yet. Can't explain to him why he found me sobbing on the floor of our hotel room. Not yet.

It felt weird not eating my pregame ritual PB&J. I found myself anxiously tapping my skate.

I haven't not eaten a PB&J before games in years. The ritual started in middle school and I've done it since then.

Nerves and anxiety started to stir as I thought more and more about not doing my ritual.

The door to the locker room opening caught my attention and I immediately ripped out my earbuds.

Coach, Ryan, Alex, the equipment manager, and Luka walked in.

Blue eyes crashed into mine and many emotions ran through me at the pain in Luka's eyes.

My attention must've been too focused on his face because I barely registered as he tossed something at me.

Why he is throwing-

I stared down at a PB&J sandwich sitting on my lap. I felt my heart crack at the entire gesture.

"Listen up ladies!" Coach's voice rang around the locker room. "No offense." He gestured at me for the millionth time.

"None taken." I cracked a slight smile at what has become a joke between us. I picked up the sandwich in my lap, unwrapped it, and started eating.

"Ryder, what is in less than a month?" Coach turned and asked the captain.

"Playoffs," Ryder said, I felt his ice blue eyes burning into me.

"And what do we need to do to make playoffs?" Coach asked him again.

"Win."

"That's right. Win." Coach nodded his approval. "We need to win at least this first game to make playoffs, and we need to win tomorrow's game if we want a good place going into playoffs."

Coach droned on and on about playoffs. I half-listened to him, half avoided eye contact with the six males in the locker room that kept trying to catch my eyes.

"I want to see smart hockey out there. Smart plays, smart passes, smart shots. None of that penalty bullshit either." Coach clapped his hands. "Now, who are we?"

"Wolves!" Everyone in the locker room responded.

"What do we want?"

"To win!"

"And how do we do that?"

"Together!" Everyone hollered and stood up. 

"Excellent. Now go out there and get me a dub!" Coach and the rest of the staff turned and left.

"You heard the man!" Tucker put his helmet on and started high-fiving people as they left the locker room.

I fell in line with my teammates, all of us shuffling out the door.

"Careful Grapes." Ryder's voice caught my attention as I passed his cubby. "You keep ignoring me and you might find yourself a bit... held up.." His deep voice leaned into me as he walked past. "Consider this your warning."