Chapter 33

Astrid

My every muscle trembled with weakness as I peeled my sweaty gear off.

My teammates around me were celebrating and singing along to "Tick Tock" by Kesha. We had won the game in extraordinary fashion by three goals. The final score being 3-0, meaning our backup goalie got a shut-out, and to say he was happy about it would be an understatement.

Ollie was in the middle of the singing and dancing circle. After all, our win had mostly been because of his amazing goaltender skills.

I managed to get my gear off and slipped away into a bathroom stall so I could change into shorts and a not-sweaty T-shirt. Even though I ultimately threw my team-logoed jacket over the top of it all. It was honestly so amazing to not have to wear baggy clothes out of the rink anymore, mostly because they were so hot.

After throwing my sweaty red locks into a ponytail, I went back out to my bag. Corey and Colten sat on either side, already dressed and waiting for me by the looks of it.

They each wore black basketball shorts and matching sweatshirts with our college mascot on them.

"What time is it?" I asked both the twins, knowing they had their phones on them.

"Five-thirty," Corey said as they both stood up.

"Ready to go load up?" Colten asked as he picked up his bag and slung it over his shoulder. His amber eyes made a show of looking around the noisy locker room. "I have a feeling these asshats will be a bit."

I nodded and picked up my bag, Corey following suit.

We passed by Ryder and Henrik on the way out. The latter was already dressed and started following us.

The twins walked on either side of me with Henrik in the rear as we walked down the long concrete hallway. The twins were conversing about some of the saves they had made during the game, ultimately helping the goalie, while Henrik and I kept quiet.

The four of us had entered into the buzzing main lobby which was still full of parents, friends, girlfriends, and general fans.

Since it was an away game most of the people here were here for the home team so it was rare for anyone that my team knew to be here.

I had apparently thought that too soon though as my eyes caught on a familiar face. Across the lobby and on the phone, stood a male that caused me to freeze in my steps.

Thankfully, somebody blocked my view and distracted me.

"There's my favorite defensive pair, my alt captain, and my best goon," Coach beamed at us as he and Ryan congratulated us on the game.

Henrik chuckled at being called the "goon". After all, he does have the most penalty minutes on the team, just barely topping Ryder and his temper.

Coach suddenly got dragged away by a reporter who wanted to discuss the game, which briefly left Ryan.

"You guys can leave your bags by the bus and load up or whatever you want until everyone else is ready," Ryan said before he too was dragged away.

Three deep chuckles rang out around me before they started moving again.

No longer distracted, my eyes flicked to the familiar male who was walking towards me.

Noticing my lack of movement and/or panic, my guys stopped and went back to standing around me.

"What's wr-" Henrik started but was cut off by the male I was dreading talking to.

"That was a heck of a game out there kiddo," My father smiled, not even noticing the men standing around me.