Chapter 9

Astrid (Aiden)

Shitttt...

My whole body froze as my eyes met his chocolate brown eyes. Henrik.

"Sooo," He drug it out as he shut my front door and walked in. "Aiden is it?"

Bentley turned away from me and faced Henrik. I could see that his shoulders were tense, but he remained silent.

"I'm sor-"

Henrik cut me off as he stepped forward, "What is your name, darling?" He drug out that last word as he took a step forward.

"Ast-rid" I stuttered as a tear ran down my face. My rapid breathing made my ribs scream in protest.

"Henrik, now is not the best time," Bentley spoke quietly.

Henrik's chocolate brown eyes met Bentley's light green eyes.

"How long have you known?" Henrik tilted his head at Bentley. Although when Henrik spoke his tone sounded lighter.

"I found out when the ambulance picked her up from the rink. One of the EMTs let her gender slip." Bentley explained. He seemed to relax, so did Henrik.

Henrik's eyes flicked to me briefly. "So she never told you directly?"

"No. I'm sure she has her reason for keeping her secret," Bentley said.

Henrik found a seat and sat. He rested his elbows on his knees and set his chin in his hands. His posture almost seemed playful.

"So, darling, what is your reason?" A small grin grew on his face as if he liked the taunting word that he had started using.

"Henrik, she doesn't have to tell you anything. You can't just come into her flat and demand stuff of her, especially in her condition." Bentley's accent became more noticeable the more his temper grew.

Henrik quirked an eyebrow at me and his smile grew even more. "Would you like me to leave?"

No words left my mouth.

A look of triumph crossed his face.

"So Astrid, for what reason would you keep this a secret?"

I managed to find my words this time, "I figured it best." At my words, Bentley turned and found a seat too. They both gave me a look that said "go on".

I took a deep breath and sighed, "In high school-" I  went on to explain most of my reasoning, making sure to leave out certain parts that were still just to difficult to talk about. I looked up at Henrik when I was finished. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, I was being selfish." I flicked my eyes over to Bentleys who' held understanding. "You too."

Bentley nodded his head and cleared his throat but before he could say whatever was on his mind, Henrik spoke.

"You created Aiden so you could fit in?" His voice held a tone of wonderment.

"Yes."

"It all makes so much sense." Henrik chuckled. "The hoodies and sweatpants. Hell, a pair of skinny jeans would've tipped some of us off immediately."

"Are you mad?" Confusion was my main emotion as Henrik was very hard to read.

Henrik shook his head, his dark brown hair shifting slightly on his forehead. "Of course not. You did what you had to do. Now, Ryder, Ryder will be upset. But he won't be for long once he sees..." Henrik paused thoughtfully, "you."

"What is that supposed to mean? I can't promise I'll be telling Ryder who I really am. In all honesty, He's a dick." I quirked my eyebrows at Henrik's phrasing.

"What Henrik means to say, is that looks can be persuasive." Bentley supplied for Henrik. "Astrid, you've earned your place on this team. You're better than us. All of us. Even Ryder. We can all tell you hold yourself back and there is no need for that. Of course, Ryder is going to be a dick. He's used to being the best and he's unsure how to handle not being the best." Henrik and Bentley both chuckled.

"Maybe it's for the best that you tell everyone once you get better-"

I went to protest but Henrik cut me off as he held up a finger.

"-you deserve to be on this team as much as anyone else." Henrik sighed. "And if anyone dares to put you down because of your gender, then let Bentley and I handle it." Henrik's eyes searched mine for something.

"You'd really do that?" I asked, amazement noticeable in my voice.

"Of fucking course." Henrik smiled. His eyes flicked up to my hair. Which was messy and unruly at the moment. "How did you keep that beautiful mane hidden?"

I chuckled, which caused pain to shoot across my ribs. I winced but continued speaking. "Honestly it was a constant battle. Between remembering my wrap and a beanie, I was always stressed."

"Telling everyone will relieve a lot of that stress." Bentley pointed out.

"I know. But I just don't want a repeat of what happened in high school." My words slipped past my filter.

"What happened in High School?" Henrik inquired.

" I.. Uh.." My heart started racing as my brain replied with a horrible memory.

Suddenly, Bentley reached over and grabbed my hand in between his. His hands seemed massive in comparison to mine. "It's okay. We won't let anyone hurt you." Bentley's eyes flicked down to my ribs. Which were hidden under a light shirt.

Lukas shirt to be exact. His smell of citrus a warm reminder.

"Well, a couple of the guys took it upon themselves to remind me of my place on the team. Some in more unorthodox ways than usual." I was shaking uncontrollably as I talked while those stupid phantom hands pried at me.

Bentley's hand tightened around mine and I caught myself staring at our conjoined hands.

I didn't care to elaborate more and they must've caught on. Henrik made a show of glancing at his phone. "I suppose it's time for your meds and a nap."

My inner self took a deep breath. I didn't have to relive those memories in front of them.

Henrik got up and grabbed my meds off the counter. He then retrieved a glass of water and brought them both over to me.

I was relieved when the pain medicine finally kicked in and I was able to breathe slightly better.

Henrik and Bentley got comfortable in their separate chairs as I slipped off into sleep on the couch.

A part of me was glad that other people knew my secret. Maybe I should tell the team. Soon.

~~~~~~
Thank you for reading Chapter 9. I hoped you like this Chapter. I tried to introduce Henrik a bit more and give you a peek into what he might be like if their relationship furthers. Let me know who your favorite character, besides Astrid, is in the comments
~Until Next Chapter