Chapter 6

Astrid (Aiden)

The +200 lb defender grinned at me as we lined up for the face-off.

Ryder took his position as center, chirping at the opposites team center. Our right winger, Ozzy, messed with their left-winger's stick. My opponent, their right winger was currently talking to their defense.

I'm willing to bet that they're planning on taking me to the boards. I groaned inwardly as I rolled my shoulders. This is going to hurt.

The ref turned and yelled at the winger to get in his spot. The right-winger, number 37, coasted over to his spot, next to his other defender and winger.

Satisfied, the ref blew his whistle and turned to drop the puck. The puck seemed to drop in slow motion as Ryder and the center battled for control.

Ryder won; the puck flew to my stick. I cradled it and started moving. My defense backed up to the line while Ozzy and Ryder got in position.

I focused on Ryder's stick, as he was the most open, and flung the puck to him, right as weight crashed into my left side, something cracked in my ribs.

My skates flew out from under me and I felt my body go weightless. My stick slipped from my hand as I crashed into the hard ice. My body didn't stop there though. The ice carried me to the boards as I slide across the ice. My side slammed into the boards. A loud crack rang out in my ears as I let out a cry of pain.

My breath was nowhere to be found as a sharp pain radiated from my ribs.

Fuck, I broke at least one rib.

"What the fuck man!" I heard Ozzy yell. From the corner of my eye, I watched as he threw a punch at the huge defender who bulldozed me.

Ryder came to my side as I heard the bench doors open. Luka.

A warm streak ran down my cold face as Ryder spoke. "Fuck, Aiden are you okay?" His eyes ran down my gear as if he'd be able to see an internal injury.

I gasped as I retorted, "Careful Ryder. One might think you actually care." The words sounded rough, but Ryder chuckled.

"Good, you're okay." He scooted over as Luka collapsed on his knees next to me.

"Hey. Ast-Aiden, how you feeling?" Luka flashed his light in my eyes as he felt my pulse.

"I broke my rib." I gasped for air, which caused pain to slice through me.

Luka chuckled. "I'll be the judge of that. Can you get up?"

I nodded, which was a mistake as more pain emerged.

I heard the slice of skates as someone approached. Bentley crouched down next to Luka, his eyes ran over my torso worriedly.

"Aiden is going to need help," Luka said as his arm snaked around my neck. The other two went to either side and started to lift.

I could only scream and bite my lip as the most pain I've ever been in threatened to steal my consciousness.

I vaguely heard someone ask if I was okay, but I could only focus on making the black dots in my vision go away.

Noise erupted through the rink as people clapped their hands and sticks at my getting up.

Luka barked some directions to Ryder and Bentley as they carried me off the ice and down the hall towards the training room.

Luka pushed open the door. Ryder and Bentley helped me over to one of the training tables then they lifted me onto the table. Black spots danced around my vision as the pain got close to too much.