Chapter 10

Luka

I felt bad as my roller glided over Isaacs's thigh. I glanced up to his face and watched as he bit down harder on the towel. His cry of pain muffled by the hand towel.

"Three more times." I clenched my teeth as I brought the roller up and down his thigh.

His muffled one could be heard.

I bought it up and down again.

He muffled two.

For the final time, I rolled out his muscle. His cry of pain and muffled three mumbled together.

"Alright Is, you are done for the day." I smiled at him even though he gave me a death glare. 

He slowly sat up and swung his legs over the side of the table. His glare finally softened, as he noticed his pain was mostly gone.

"Ice and Advil for two days," I said. He jumped down from the table and adjusted his basketball shorts as I went about cleaning up the area.

"Thanks Luka," Isaac mumbled as he left the training room.

I finished cleaning the training room and went about closing it for the day.

The room smelled of its usual mothballs and an underlining tone of sweat. Between Doc and I, we took turns ensuring that this room stayed clean. Not only for the organization but also because it was part of the job description.

Doc had a family emergency so he needed me to take over his stuff. So this is where I've been since I left Astrid's apartment this morning.

Speaking of Astrid...

I pulled out my phone and checked my messages.

One new voicemail.

I knew that number wasn't any of the three that I was expecting, but figuring it was important I listened to the voicemail.

"-St. Mary's Hospital, this is Doctor Yung. I was calling for Luka Daniels regarding Astrid Schwartz and since this is the number that was put down when she was brought in, I figured you're the person I need to get in touch with. Please call me back as soon as you get the chance."

My blood slowed at the urgency in the doctor's voice. Why would he be calling? Did something go wrong with Astrid's surgery? Is she okay?

I immediately dialed the number. He answered on the second ring.

"Luka Daniels?"

"Yes sir," I answered faking a bravo I didn't actually feel.

"Are you the acting trainer for Astrid Schwartz?"

"Yes. The team Doctor has appointed me for the time being." I felt myself start pacing in the room.

The doctor seemed okay with my answer. It wasn't a lie. Technically any health concerns of Astrid should be brought to Doc's and I's attention since she signed a contract saying so.

"I wanted to check in with Astrid's condition."

"Well, sir she is sleeping a lot and taking her medicine when she's supposed to. Otherwise, she seems to be doing pretty good."

"That isn't what I meant." the doctor said.

"Sir?"

"It seems you are unaware of Astrid's health issues."

"What health issues? Before the accident, she was as healthy as a horse." My pacing abruptly stopped and I sat down on one of the tables.

"I'm afraid that isn't true. When we took scans of her head to ensure concussion protocol we noticed at the bottom of the scan that there is a mass located in Astrid's windpipe."

"A mass?"

"It would appear that Astrid has cancer of the trachea though she is already aware of this."

My blood came to a complete stop when my brain processed what he said.

Cancer? Astrid has cancer? That can't be. She is healthy. She would have told me.

"Are you sure?" My voice surprisingly was unshaken as I spoke.

"Yes Mister Daniels, I am sure."

"It would seem I need to have a sit down the team Doctor and Astrid." Before I found the will to hang up, I spoke again. "Should I be worried about Astrid?"

"At the moment? No Mister Daniels. Astrid is very healthy and the survival rate for trachea cancer is very high. Her mass seems stable, but I would recommend getting a specialist's opinion."

"Thank you, Doctor Yung," I said before finally hanging up.

Fear pounded through my veins as I set my phone down beside me.

Astrid has cancer. This poor thing has known she has had cancer and has been dealing with it on her own.

Anger at my own stupidity rose violently in me. How could I be so blind and not see her suffering?

"Fuck!" I yelled as I threw a paper towels roll across the room. It bounced off the wall and rolled on the ground. How do I help Astrid?

Doc will know what to do. I need to talk to Doc.

I jumped off the table, grabbed my phone, dialed Docs number, and finished locking up the training room.

"Luka?" Doc seemed surprised by my call.

"We have a situation," I said grimly. I explained the whole thing to Doc as I walked out to my car.

"I see." I inwardly groaned at Doc's tone. I wasn't going to like whatever he had to say.

"What are you thinking?" I asked as I unlocked my truck and got in it.

The cold Minnesota air nipped at my skin, but I still hadn't turned on my truck.

"We should wait for her to come to us. Or get help."

"But doc-" I halted in putting my key in ignition out of shock at his words.

He cut me off. "I know. I know. But Astrid isn't like the other players. If you call her out, she will run. Then she will never get help. You have to let her approach you about it. Act like you don't know anything and unless it becomes a problem- like her condition worsens- wait for her."

As much as I wanted to argue, he had a point. Astrid is different than all the other players.

"You are right." I sighed as I finally turned my truck on. The engine roaring to life as snow fell around my headlights.

"Thatta boy. And Luka, I know you care for her and this is hard for you but think about her. She needs you. She needs to know that you will be there will her the whole way. And you need to be prepared to be there for her the whole way."

"I'm more than prepared."

"Good, now I have to go. See you later."

Doc hung up after I said goodbye.

The whole way to Astrid's house I was mentally preparing for what lied ahead.

Astrid will need my support and fuck was I willing to give it to her. Finally, I can show her how much I fucking love her.

I love Astrid.

~~~~~~
Thanks for reading Chapter 9. I couldn't resist writing this chapter, so enjoy the back-to-back releases. This will not be the only time that this happens, but don't get used to it. Anyways, I hoped you liked this Chapter. I love comments and feedback.
~Until Next Chapter