Fifteen

KAIDEN POV

Chapter name: rejections and raspberries

I grab a glass filled with wine and take a small sip from it as the waitress walks around the room, attending to everyone's needs by putting an alcoholic beverage in their hands.

"You're not old enough for that." My mother's eyebrows furrow as she takes the glass from me. I roll my eyes, looking at all the rich people at this function.

I tug on my tie, slightly losing it so I won't feel so cramped. "Why did we have to come here anyway?" I ask my mom as she fixes her dress, interrupting her chat with another rich lady.

"Don't be rude, Kaiden. Go keep an eye on your sister." She swats me away.

I walk through the crowd. Obnoxious laughs fill my ears as my eyes spot Reece sitting on the couch with another girl close to her age.

"Kaiden?" I feel a light hand on my shoulder as my name is pronounced in a sweet tone. I turn around, facing the all too known girl behind me.

Phoebe.

"Hello, Kaiden. I didn't expect to see you here!" She says happily, her lips turning into a smile. Her hair is neatly braided to the side, her dress bright red, going to her ankles.

"Is Tivelly here?" I ask her, scanning the room for a certain blonde. "That's rude. Why don't you want to talk to me?" Phoebe sneers, crossing her arms in front of her chest in annoyance.

My eyes light up as I spot that certain blonde speaking to a guy. Her stance is awkward, her face looks drained, and her body is very stiff, as if she's uncomfortable. She takes a step back, forcing herself to laugh at something the guy said.

I walk around Phoebe, headed straight towards Tivelly.

"You look beautiful. We can get out of here. I have a limo coming to pick me up later." He leans forward, staring into her eyes that are drained of color.

"No, thank you." She responds in an austere manner, taking another step back.

I step around the crowd and place myself at her side. The guy's back straightens out as he notices me. "Who are you?" He asks me, his chest puffing out at me.

I turn to Tivelly who's face seems full of relief, "Is this man bothering you?" I ask her. She nods, not baring to make eye contact with the guy. "Leave my girlfriend the hell alone." I glare at him, wrapping my arm around Tivelly, pulling her close. I feel her tense up as if she's in pain.

He scoffs, leaving us be without another word. My eyes widen as I grip her side, realizing she's skinnier than she was before.

"He kept asking me if I wanted to leave with him." She rolls her eyes. I take my hand away from her side, looking at her complexion. Her face has yet another bruise that a few layers of makeup have covered in desperate attempts to conceal.

"Want to go to the fountain in the back? I heard its killer." I suggest, hoping to get her out of this crowd. She nods, her eyes darting through everyone in the room.

I grab her hand, pulling her behind me, taking her out of the room and into the backyard. We walk towards the fountain. I take my hand out from hers as he prods out way closer to the shining fountain.

I glance at her, her lips having her usual gloss, her wavy hair now straightened, sitting on her thin shoulders. She has on a silver dress, going down to her feet. Her dress is slightly loose on her body as if she needed to weigh a couple of pounds more to wear it.

"Oh. It's Bexley's dress. I'm just borrowing it." She tells me, realizing I was scanning her. I place a confused expression on my face, and she wastes no time explaining she has an older sister.