Sixteen

Tivelly POV

Chapter name: Blisters and dust

The sickly smell of smoke fills my nose. The fire alarm screeches in my ear as I tear Bexleys dress out from the oven with a pair of tongs. I hold the flaming dress I wore to the party two days ago stretched in front of me. I drop the dress into the sink, starting the water. Violent coughs wrack my body as the water kills the fire, soaking the burnt dress.

"Open a window!" I scream to Bexley as she appears in the doorway of the kitchen. She rushes away as I lurch my body over the sink. I unlock the window, pulling it up, not able to get a breath of fresh air.

My chest burns as I sprint to the front door Bexley opened. I gasp for clean air as soon as I step out. "I'll go turn the fire alarm off." Bexley pats my back, stepping back inside. "Turn off the oven and sink too!" I yell after her.

"Maybe you should've thought about leaving Kaiden with me." The witch Pheobe emerges from the depths of the smokey house to stand at my side. "Why would you burn your own sister's dress?" I turn towards her, a frown forming on my face.

She smirks at me before looking across the street, kindly waving at the neighbors who sit on chairs, enjoying the sun. "I thought that it would be a good warning for you. Since you are the one that wore it to that party." She announces, rocking back on her heels.

"It was her dress," I repeat.

"And she let you wear it. She probably didn't want it anymore. Because you're a germ." She emphasizes the word germ, sneering at me. "Plus, Kaiden probably thought you made it ugly anyways." She adds before sashaying off.

My heart aches at the last remark she made. She knows just how to get to me, and I hate it. I have just made a friend, a real friend, a close friend, and she is already twisting things about him. How can she do that like its second nature?

Don't let her sway your mind, Tive.

"She's such a bitch." Bexley places her hand gently on my shoulder as I look at the ground. I know the fire will be blamed on me. Pheobe won't be in trouble at all.

"Woah, are you ok?" Bexley asks frantically. I look at her. Confusion was written on my face. Suddenly I feel it, my eyes burning, a tear slipping down my cheek. My finger goes up to my cheek, gently wiping the tear.

"I don't k...know h-h-how long I c...can do this," I reply, words just spitting out of my mouth. "What do you mean by that?" She questions, her hands going to my shoulders as she steps in front of me, eyeing me with genuine worry.

I can't be in a place like this forever. Deep in my mind, I know they will try to keep me here as a slave. Even after I turn eighteen, I know they will trap me in this house. There will be no escape for me.

I avoid Bexley's eyes, looking past her face at the neighbor's mailbox, "It's so fucking tiring." I blabbered. My face is full of tears. "Where are you going with this?" She asks. My heart races as I watch Ables car pull into the driveway.

He slams the door to his closes the driver's door, marching towards us. His eyes are full of rage. He grabs Bexley's shoulder, shoving her to the side to get to me.

She is shoved into a chair, falling over it as Able stares down at me. Before anyone can get a word out, his hand is in the air, slamming down on my face. My head is flung to the side, my cheek stinging. My hand flies to my cheek, where his hand slapped me.

"What did you do?" Each word pierces my soul. His expression shouts danger. I open my mouth and am immediately slapped again. My mouth closes, and another slap is served. Again, again, again. I don't try to turn my head back to look at him. I don't try to dodge the slaps. My hand doesn't fly to my face. I stand in place, letting the pain saturate into my skin.