Twenty-six

KAIDEN POV

Chapter name: my emotions

Only hours ago, I drove to the police station, giving myself up so Grey could finally shut the hell up. All I have to do is wait for Tivelly to wake up.

I sit on a cold bench with other guys that have committed numerous crimes.

"Why are you in here?" One guy asks, touching his shaved head. I don't answer; I just look down at my hands. From my peripheral vision, I see him stand up, stepping towards me. Before I can react, I am lifted by my shift collar onto the bars of the holding cell.

A clatter rings through the cell; as his face is so close to mine, I can smell his breath. He definitely smoked before this. I scan the scar across his face, wondering what mess he was in to get such a jagged cut like that.

"You're in here now; there's no mommy to protect you. You better learn to respect people that are bigger than you, boy." He grits his teeth. "I was caught robbing a bank. I'll be here for a while, so I'm not afraid to rough anyone up-"

"Alleged kidnap." I cut him off, so he would stop with his meaningless words.

Another man with tattoos covering his body places his hand on the scar man's shoulder. "I think you can let him go now."

After scar man huffs, he lets me go, backing away from me. "The kidnapper that the police have been trying to find?" He questions. I nod, sitting on the bench I was on earlier. "I didn't kidnap her; I saved her." I respond. not daring to look the men in the face.

"You have angry eyes, kid." The tattooed man responds, sitting on a bench across from me. I finally decide to look at them; their faces are full of curiosity as they watch me. "If I didn't take her, then she would be dead right now. She even died in my arms on the way to the hospital, for fucks sake." I respond with irritation lacing my voice.

"So you didn't kidnap her? You didn't beat her?" Scar man questions, crossing his arms as if he is judging me for lying. "The one that beat her wasn't me. I didn't kidnap her. I took her to the hospital. Why would a kidnapper take their victim to the hospital?" I glare.

They sit, thinking for a moment, letting my words sink in. "Well, a kidnapping crime and a murder crime are two different things. She could've been on the verge of death, which she was, and you decided that murder on your hands is far worse than just a kidnapping case."

I shake my head, annoyed that they would think that way. "No. I didn't do that to her. I wouldn't do that to her, EVER." I respond.

"Kaiden Rivera, you are free to go." A woman in a uniform tells me, opening the door. "I guess he really didn't kidnap her." Scar man mumbles to tattoo man. I stand up, walking past the guard towards Case and Jayce.

I lay on the small bed with Tivelly cuddled up next to me. My arm is wrapped around her, pulling her close as she shivers.

"We can get you more blankets," I tell her, pulling the thin cover up more. She shakes her head no, drawing shapes on my chest as she listens to my heartbeat. She's been like this since I got here... silent. She won't speak. She wants to be held.

Is it the abuse? Has it made her mute? Apparently, she was talking fine before this... until Pheobe came in.

I look at Case, who sleeps peacefully on a hospital chair by the door with a small blanket covering him. He must have been too stressed to sleep at the station.

"What are they going to do about your living situation?" Leo asks Tivelly as he yawns, everyone around me being tired.

She shrugs, her finger slightly stopping before continuing with the shapes. One of my biggest fears is her being taken away from me. I'm scared that she will get relocated somewhere impossible for me to get to.