Forty-five

Tivelly POV

Chapter name: tying loose ends

I tie my hair into a ponytail, the hot summer air hitting my face as I am ushered in between guards as people pile around us.

"Tivelly! Ms. Tivelly! How was the trial? Do you have any words to your father and brother?" A camera is shoved into my face only to have one of the guards guide me away.

"TIVELLY HOW DO YOU FEEL NOW THAT YOU LOCKED TWO INNOCENT MEN AWAY?" Another camera along with a mic is shoved into my face.

I try to keep a straight face as we continue our walk to a car. I imagine myself teleporting into the black car, avoiding everyone who has heard about the case.

"KAIDEN-"

I feel a small amount of relief as some of the attention flocks to Kaiden.

Still- flashes of cameras blind me as I bump in between the two men who are supposed to keep the paparazzi away.

The door is opened for me and I step in, scooting over to the other side of the car. I watch as Kaiden is only a few steps away from the car, doing a little skip to not have me waiting long.

I let out a small sigh of relief as he sits in the car, closing the door as he looks at me.

"Are you ok?" He questions, taking my hands into his. The corners of my mouth start to droop as I feel an all too familiar lump in my throat begin to form.

Before I can say anything, he pulls me into a hug. I nuzzle my face into the crook of his neck, smelling his warm scent.

Smalls droplets trail down my red face and reside on his body. "I'm... I'm happy." It's a bittersweet feeling hearing those words leave my mouth.

In truth, this is the happiest I have been in a very long time. And that's a sad thought.

The driver presses the gas, bringing us out of the crowd of people.

"Everyone but Chloe showed." I pull back, looking into his eyes.

I watch as he looks away, not knowing what to say. It was a jab at the heart to not see someone who is supposed to be my friend at my trial.

I saw all of the guys and even Kate and my birth mom. I could see everyone there BUT the one person I thought would support me the most.

We have been distant for the last three months, she doesn't answer any of my calls.

Monday is therapy and Wednesday is the DA's office. I have all of the empty days in between since I'm not working right now. So that gives me a lot of time to spare.

She doesn't know I'm living with Dan. Does she even know I found Dan? I ponder on whether I've told her about everything that's happened.

I found Dan before we stopped being friends, but did I tell her that? Was I unconsciously distancing myself from her months ago?

My mind leads back to yesterday when we spoke on her porch. I was only hoping to see her today, maybe not as a true friend, but as someone who wanted my freedom.

I step onto Chloe's porch and stand in front of the door.

Gulping my nervousness down I rap my knuckles against the door. Dogs bark on the other side of the door, their screaming sounding almost dangerous. Too bad they are small dogs.

I shift on my feet as the door opens, revealing Chloe, who looks at me with her mouth gaping open. Before I can say anything, she composes herself, slamming her mouth shut again.

"Why are you here?" She keeps me at arms length as I stand in the bitter summer heat.

"I... I'm finishing up my third day of court tomorrow." I start, not knowing what to say. I had a speech planned out for her but all the words seem to disappear as I look into her icy eyes.

She glances around before pulling here eyes back to me, "I've heard. It's all everyone's been talking about." She almost seems annoyed.

"Do you just hate me that much?"

"What?" She looks shocked, almost hurt as my accusation processes.

"It's like you want nothing to do with me Chloe." I step towards her, watching as she backs away.

I feel anger fill my veins as I close my fists, digging my nails into my palms.

"You've changed Tivelly. I feel like I don't know you anymore."

I stare at her, thinning my lips, "You're right, you don't know me." My voice trembles as I admit the obvious, "Do you know why that is? Do you know why you have no idea who I am anymore?"

She places her hand on her doorknob, ready to rush inside. I grab her wrist, pulling her away from the door as I stare into her eyes.

She looks at me with wide eyes, struggling to rip herself out of my grip.

"You don't know who I am because you left when I changed! You liked the Tivelly that kept her head down and hid her bruises!" I yell at her, watching as tears fall from her eyes.

"Let me go!" She pleads."

"You don't like that I'm finding out who I am! You can't be happy for me because you're so fucking stuck in your own life!"

By now hot liquid streams down my face as it does hers. I feel so much rage in my body that my grip on her has tightened without my knowledge.

"The old you would never do this to me!"

"THE OLD ME IS DEAD!" I scream at her, letting her wrist go and taking a step back.

She rubs her red wrist, her eyes laced with fear.

"And that's why our friendship is dead." I speak for her as if I know what she's thinking. She thins out her lips, turning her head away from me.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Kaidens hand caressing my cheek. "Even if she didn't show up, you still have everyone who did." He looks into my eyes, giving me a sweet smile as he studies me.

I lean towards him, giving him a small peck as the driver comes to a stoplight.

"Airport please! We have a flight to catch soon!" Kaiden reminds the driver.

I watch as the driver nods, taking a left turn once the light flicks to green.

Next stop: Italy.

I am so so so sorry for the wait a lot of stuff has been going on in my real life and I haven't been home for a month. We have one more chapter left for this book thank you for waiting so patiently!