Forty-three

Tivelly POV

Chapter name: the secrets are out in the open

I put my head in my hands, sighing as I feel a dent in the couch beside me. "Sorry you got kicked out." Dan consoles me, trying to hide the swaying of his drunken body.

"It was never a forever home." I want to cry as those words leave my mouth. I rub my lips together, trying to keep the corners of my mouth from drooping.

I always knew I couldn't stay there forever. I can't ever stay anywhere. My mom didn't want me, the foster parents didn't want me, my adopted family kept me even though they hated me. No one will ever want me. I know Dan would rather his home be to himself, the only reason he's letting me stay is because I'm an obligation.

I know I'll never be loved. Although it hurts knowing that, the more that time passes, the more I'm becoming used to the feeling.

"Anyways Tivelly, I'm sorry to leave you like this but... I have to work soon. My second job." He stands up, his breath reeks of alcohol.

My mind ponders on what his second job could be but I don't bring myself to ask. I lift my head up as he stumbles towards his room, putting a jacket on.

"I'll later be back tonight. You sleep on the couch and pull it out tonight. Blankets in... in the cabinet... somewhere." His words are hard to make out as they tend to run together.

He pats my head and walks towards the door.

In seconds I'm alone again, like always.

God, this sucks.

I miss having a phone.

I hold hand palm out, imagining my phone in my hand. If I try hard enough I can imagine the block of a phone I had.

Too bad it broke.

I hear a light knock at the door and I can't help but tense up, staring at the lock on the door. I thin my lips, realizing it's locked.

I stand up, sneaking over to the door, cringing at the creak in the wood. I don't know the kind of stuff Dan is in, it could be anyone.

I don't have to worry about Able at the moment since he's in the hospital, surrounded by police.

All I have to worry about is who Dan hangs around in these slums.

"Tivelly? If you're in there please open the door. It's creepy over here." I hear a familiar voice.

I immediately unlock the door and crack it open. I expect to see a grown man demanding money but instead I see a small girl.

Kate stands in front of me with a sweet smile.

She opens her mouth to say something before pausing, immediately covering her nose.

"Dans a smoker." I tell her, stepping outside and closing the door behind me so she doesn't have to smell the cigarettes.

I glance at her wrapped up injury, feeling a sudden sting of guilt. She notices my facial expression and touches my shoulder, telling me it looks worse than it actually is.