Thirty-one

TIVELLY POV

Chapter name: a discussion in the cold

"Why do you hate me? I don't think I have hurt you." Ables's voice shakes as he drives, his foot pressing the acceleration more and more.

He glances towards me as I press my back into the seat farther as we race down the road. "Who hurt you? Because it sure as hell wasn't me." His knuckles turn white on the steering wheel. "Slow down, Able." I warn, my voice trembles as I look at the speedometer. "You're going 105 in a sixty," I add.

"Fucking hell." He mumbles in frustration; his foot lifts off the peddle and slams onto the break. I gasp as the car screeches to a sudden stop. My seatbelt is digging into my chest as the car halts so fast it threatens to flip.

My chest heaves as my body violently trembles. The smell of burnt rubber stings my nose. I don't dare to say another word as he clenches his jaw, staring at the empty road in front of us.

I slowly turn my head to look at him, wondering what's going on in his head. "Get out." He suddenly says. My breath hitches in my throat as I study his face, looking for signs of a cruel joke.

"I'M NOT FUCKING KIDDING TIVELLY!" He screams at me, slamming his palms onto the steering wheel. I jump as he shouts and then again as he suddenly turns towards me—the vein in his forehead about to explode.

"I... I don't know my way to the thanks... thanksgiving party." I desperately try to plead as he unlocks my seatbelt. "No! Stop!" I cry as I try to fascine the seatbelt back into the lock.

Before I can say anything else, he hops out of the car, walking around to the passenger's side. I look around at the tall trees; it's just a straight road for miles until the next town.

He whips open my door and immediately leans into the car, unbuckling me and wrapping his arms around my petite frame. "NO, NO, NO, PLEASE STOP IT ABLE!" I desperately claw at the seat and seatbelt as I am ripped out of the car.

I slam my arms and legs around, attempting to scramble back into the car.

He drops me onto the cold asphalt. I land on my tailbone, immediately wrapping myself in my jacket as the chilling breeze whips my hair behind me.

"You always make me out to be the bad guy. You're begging for me to be the bad guy. You look at me like I'm a monster Tivelly." He squats down beside me, looking at me with fake pity.

"Please don't leave me here." My voice is so low I doubt he can hear me.

He pats my head and stands up. He slams the car door and gets into the driver's seat without another word; he doesn't even glance back at me. I watched hopelessly as he revs his engine before speeding off, leaving me on the road with no way home.

I watch Kaiden as the fire beside us lights up his face. I haven't seen his eyes since he passed out a few hours ago. I cringe back as Case plops down on the grass beside me. "Are you worried?" He asks me; his eyes fall on Leo, who stabs the fire with a stick he found. Sparks dance around us, forcing me to shrink back in fear that I will get burned

"Is it that noticeable?" I respond, lightly touching Kaidens cheek.

"You looked like you were thinking of something."

I look at him with my eyebrows knitted together. Can he tell I was thinking about the past?

"Did I look unpleasant?" I pinch my cheeks, scolding my face for betraying me.

He gently pulls my hands away from my face, "Well, you don't have the best poker face."

Almost like it's on cue, Kaiden's eyes flutter open as a sigh leaves his parted lips. "My head is killing me." He states, pushing himself to a sitting position. "No mind that, but what the hell, man. You didn't tell me this was happening again." Case responds angrily.